High Tide Aquatics

saltwater mixing station build....

I thought about using 55g. But the problem is, I probably would only need 30g at a time. So I would end up needing 2 drum or some odd arrangement.

you can go to any of those tank manufacturers and choose any configuration that you would like if you want it more customized to your needs.

You can always set your float switch at the height that is 50 gallons. In any case you'll need to do some playing around with it. It's not likely that one bag mixed with exactly 50 gallons will yield the precise salinity that you want. It may, but you may also be at 48 gallons to one bag. Another thing to think about is if you'll be able to use up the whole barrel. If you're pumping it out you probably can't get that last couple gallons in the bottom which means that when you fill it up with fresh water there's still some salt water still in the bottom which will throw off your salinity when you add your bag of salt. I've not yet incorporated my AWC system so I'm not sure what the answer is. I just planned on there being some tweaking to the system to fine tune it.

I just know that aquavitro salinity is real close to 2 cups per 5 gal. I keep track how much water I take out, and add salt 2 cups at a time. Salt will mix better IME
When it is added slowly anyhow. I sorta think you guys may be over thinking this a bit.
And to flagg37s point, if you are using instant ocean bags you will not get 50 gal of 1.026 water from a bag.

the first design had the tank bulkheads on the front but quickly realized that it took up a big footprint on a limited space.
Mocked up the design to have the bulkheads on the inner sides.

only thing is that the float is now at the front ( top right tank ) :-(

Last edited:
Well the point of the 55 barrel is so you can mix the whole 50g bag at a time. But won't use that much per WC so I would need secondary storage for the left over to make new batch.
Couldn't you also mix the main bag really well and break it down into smaller well mixed parcels? You can make it whatever you want by weight.

was thinking that the suction from draining will keep the unglued section from dropping in the tank. I may just use threaded without the pvc paste.

Is the vynl hose flexible enough to be easily folded back neatly? I am thinking clear tubing as they are quite flexible to rewind.

Last edited:
I currently use the black plastic dripping line (about 3/4' in diameter). It is too stiff thus I always have a hard time to reel it back.

Really interested in finding out if Sump_Penny's black vinyl hose is pliable enough.

Back