Saltwater mixing station

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Klems, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

Just finished my saltwater mixing station for my new tank. The top will be for RODI storage (removable to take and get new RODI), middle for mixing the saltwater for water changes and the bottom is removable for both water changes and to get fresh RODI at LFS. Will add a barbed 90° fitting into the bulkhead and attach some 1" flexible tubing for dispensing. Any thoughts / suggestions for improvement?

Attached Files:

2. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

I don't think those tubs are NSF rated? I use 20gal Brute and drilled the bottom so I can drain all the tank completely.

3. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Those look like the bins that you can get at HD. I use them for storage.

MD video of their solution. This one is old but still relevant.

4. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

I pretty much did the same as the MD video. 20g RODI on top, 44g mixing tub at the bottom. I have float valves in both of mine so I can make up to 60g of RODI in one go.

5. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

If they are not NSF certified....Is that a HUGE red flag, or just a "be cautious with them?" I plan on giving them a thorough cleaning with vinager before I put them to use.

6. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

We would never know if it leaches anything into the water. I would err on the side of caution and eliminate the possible problem.

7. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

I bought a plastic bin from Target/Walmart/Home Depot. It's in my glass sump and serves as the "skimmer section". I never checked if it was NSF certified and it probably isn't because it's just a plastic storage box for toys/tools/whatever. Now, I DO have high nitrates, but I can't see plastic as contributing to that. Never even thought of it until now.

8. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

I don't think it's possible for plastic to increase nitrates. I think only organic material can do that.

9. RandyC

RandyC Guest

It's not nitrates you have to worry about. It's probably more a worry that plastics can (and likely will) leach hormone-like chemicals into the water. I believe BPA is being eliminated from food safe containers because it leaches an estrogen like chemical. Now the question really is does/will it affect your reef keeping. The answer is probably a definite, "I don't know." But why risk it? Go buy a food safe container without BPA, prolly won't cost you more than a few bucks more over a non-food storage container.

10. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

I just bought a bunch of those containers from Costco, they are on sale @ $6.00 Got them since I was to store the dry rock from the tank that did not happen.
    I will check the labels and search online about them; I was planning on cycling the rock in them.
    Great price to store lots of things in 'em.

Coral reefer likes this.
  11. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

Yup, those are the exact same ones...I think they will be fine, very sturdy and the lid locks so I won't have to worry about too much water spillage when I get RODI from Neptune's....

12. Gablami

Gablami Supporting Member

I'm just curious, why would you buy rodi from Neptune's instead of making it yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coral reefer likes this.
  13. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

I know there's some people that rent and landlords won't allow them to install them.

14. Gablami

You can hook it up outside to a hose bib. Nothing to install really...as long as you have a hose :). An apartment would be a different story.

Just seems like such a hassle to lug all that water around.

15. Julius Chen

Julius Chen Supporting Member

Roostertech,

does your bottom container has its own feed from rodi, or it gets water from top container only?

16. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

Initial cost and setup (Still trying to figure out how and where exactly I want to set it up)....just need to wait a few months and purchase a BRS one... I figure I will need a 6 stage vs a 4 stage due to chlorimines in our tap water in SJ right?

17. Gablami

Ok just wondering. If I had to go pick up my water to make my NSW, I think my water change schedule would be a perpetual "umm...maybe next week." :)

18. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

One feed line tee to both containers, the feed to mixing tub has a valve on it. Both containers has float valve.

19. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

I'm one of those.

20. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

I didn't even ask, when I was renting. I just fixed it before I moved.

However, as mentioned, you can get attachements that just screw onto the faucet so it doesn't require permanent modifications.

V