saltwatersig's tank

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by saltwatersig, Sep 13, 2008.

1. arod2051

arod2051 Guest

Awesome thread. I couldn't read through the whole thing because I was enamored with the pictures.

Hope my tank grows up to look this good.

2. Rick778

Rick778 Guest

Nice Tank.
    Beautiful pictures!

3. saltwatersig

saltwatersig Volunteer

Thank you everyone for the compliments

4. screebo

screebo Guest

I don't think I've ever seen a tank doing better than that! Worth every minute that you've been up to your elbows in that water! :D
    Superb tank, Sergio.

5. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

Beautiful Elegance coral! Where did you buy that one?

6. melly mel

melly mel Guest

Sergio, what is that coral on the top left , right above the chalice in the 2nd pic?

7. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

Somewhere online I saw someone using magnets to mount them on the glass; if I come across that will post the link.

8. saltwatersig

saltwatersig Volunteer

Just a few pics of the usual stuff and future dbtc

Iani's Emerald mummy eye
    [​IMG]

miami hurricane (I think, came as a dbtc)
    [​IMG]

RBTA from Pianotips
    [​IMG]

BAR prop chalice (temporary holding for Jonathon/Crabby
    [​IMG]

future DBTC Aussi hammer
    [​IMG]

future DBTC Aussi echinata
    [​IMG]

future sps
    [​IMG]

future sps
    [​IMG]

future sps
    [​IMG]

future sps
    [​IMG]

future appleberry monti
    [​IMG]

purple/ blue sponge from Bill/Cookiejar
    [​IMG]

fts after switching back to Pheonix 14k

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. gimmito

gimmito Supporting Member

Nice tank... That is one huge Clam !

Jim

10. patchin

patchin Facilities / Event Coordinator

Awesome Sergio. Er I mean awesome, Sergio

11. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Guest

If I look really closely I think I kind find some room to place some more corals. :bigsmile:

12. nanocube-guy

nanocube-guy Guest

how do you frag them if its glue on the big rock?

13. saltwatersig

saltwatersig Volunteer

Link

I will try to just clip a branch here & there or if needed I will pry it loose from rock ....prune and reglue it

14. CookieJar

CookieJar Guest

Serg- looking great! I'm always impressed looking at your tank- the corals are thriving and you're maximizing the available real estate.

15. yellojello

yellojello Supporting Member

Lookin' good! How do you track everything, mental note or notepad (or i guess just through the BAR journal)? I don't have any corals yet, but Viet has broke into the barrier of needing to write things down haha

16. nanocube-guy

nanocube-guy Guest

gotcha... Thanks for the replied! It looks so cool!

17. saltwatersig

saltwatersig Volunteer

The DBTC stuff is easy since the new updated program to track them keeps a record of whom you got it from. As far as the other corals.....pretty much just mental notes (although each year , more and more of my mental notes seem to get deleted to make room for new ones :) )

Sergio

18. saltwatersig

saltwatersig Volunteer

Hello all

As you know ...my tank has been going through some rough times.....steady decline since Idk ....March of 2010. Started seeing a constant decline in Cal levels (using Cal rx at that time) and no matter how much more additives I would add to buffer it up , within a couple of days it would get low again. Then I got the bright Idea of adding 2 part to increase the levals on both CAL and ALk. Well that turned my tank into a weekly ritual of soaking pump in vinager ( skimmer pumps, return pump, tunzes).

Fast forward 7 months and dosing 1032ml of Cal and 1032 ml of Alk every day (yes that is correct...the only way I could keep params up) and experiancing daily precip on tank glass....My good friend Jeremy said I should dose more Mag and lower the dosing on ALK/CAL.
    That did the trick, my old mag test kit had failed me and led me to believe Mag levels where fine and they were not.

From that point on I still had remaining sps, most chalices, and some lps consistantly decline. my live rock seemed dead and started to see more and more hair algae.

About A month or so ago , after numerous water changes and less feedings .....I am know seeing what few chalices remained starting to color back up , A few lokani sps that survived are growing and coloring up as well as most of my lps.

Here are a few pics as of recently, some newly aquired some old

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. JAR

JAR Supporting Member

looking good Sergio!

This BRS video helped me better understand the role of Magnesium in our tanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI52IyBtjp0&feature=player_embedded

20. sfboarders

sfboarders Guest

Looks good Sergio!