got ethical husbandry?

saltwatersig's tank

I agree with Erin!
Issues notwithstanding what was the problem again? Oh wait, the stuff is so massive you need more room! Nevermind.
That clam is ridiculous I'd like to see it in person sometime.

Can you teach me how to grow em big like that ;)

saltwatersig said:
Fast forward 7 months and dosing 1032ml of Cal and 1032 ml of Alk every day (yes that is correct...the only way I could keep params up) and experiancing daily precip on tank glass....My good friend Jeremy said I should dose more Mag and lower the dosing on ALK/CAL.
The abiotic calcification and difficulty holding Ca and alk stable are pretty classic symptoms of Mg problems.

My plan is to always keep a caulastria in my tank. It pulls back to the skeleton when Mg is low. I learned this in my tank journey before I started dosing anything. Thanks again for the tip Norm. There may be other conditions that cause this, but it will make me check my test kit at least.

Sergio the tank is looking great to me. Sorry it does not look like you had planned. I have more setosa...

Glad to see things going good for you Sergio. I'm also having what I believe to be magnesium related issues, never have I found a test kit that I can use (I'm chemistry retarded I guess), only one that has been used is Bryan's chemistry lab experiment test kit which he did not me :D

Almost makes me want to go the direction of a calcium reactor just to not deal with the 2/3 part solution... but then again I'm sure there's a ton of other issues with going that way :D

Thanks for the kind words everyone..... unfortunately my finding the problem and then correcting it took not only a long time in seeing positve results but also killed quite a bit of corals along the way. My Ignorance kept me thinking that everything was just around the corner in getting back on track :(

At this point in time what seems to give me more stabilty with my parameters seems to be the 2 part dosing on brs dosers w/timers , when I had my calcium rx online, always fiddled around with the efluent drip rate (either too slow or too fast) . The corals appear to be doing great and hopefully I can put my problems behind me ( at least my coral problems ;) ).

I am very thankful to have this club as a great source of information and support :bigsmile:

Sergio

yardartist said:
There may be other conditions that cause this, but it will make me check my test kit at least.
You can see that after a kalk overdose or snowstorm, but then you know what the issue is.

I suspect if you measure Mg levels after that type of event, it's probably all wacked out due to the massive drop in the Ca. It can take a long time to get Ca/Mg/alk/pH back in line after an overdose.

Just an update.....tank is doing well .....clown fish laid eggs just below green anemone . Hair algea seems to be slowly shrinking back :)

IMG_3030.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg

Back