Cali Kid Corals

San Francisco - Proposed ban on sales of FISH

"Most fish in aquariums are either mass bred" under inhumane conditions "or taken from the wild," commission member Philip Gerrie said.
Guess they better ban all types of meat in San Francisco too since this falls under the same criteria...

sfsuphysics said:
"Most fish in aquariums are either mass bred" under inhumane conditions "or taken from the wild," commission member Philip Gerrie said.
Guess they better ban all types of meat in San Francisco too since this falls under the same criteria...

Don't laugh....it's clearly within their scope of thinking....and given their track record a distinct possibility down the line.

-Gregory

Yeah I know, and I things like this is why I miss small towns, where "elected officials" only job is to run the city. Not to make a political statement about a particular hot topic or something. Newsome already banned plastic bags, and by banned basically made it so Safeway is who got screwed, all because Safeway pissed him off... but hey he's got a new job now!

GDawson said:
Good thing most people think corals are types of plants......

-Gregory
images

:lol:

sfsuphysics said:
Yeah I know, and I things like this is why I miss small towns, where "elected officials" only job is to run the city. Not to make a political statement about a particular hot topic or something. Newsome already banned plastic bags, and by banned basically made it so Safeway is who got screwed, all because Safeway pissed him off... but hey he's got a new job now!

Even better Mike, try an unincorporated area, we have no "elected officials" on the city level where I live. Funny thing is, everything seems to be just hunky dory here :D

lol @ that plastic bag ordinance. All it did was force grocers to get even thicker plastic bags that wont be considered "one use"

tuberider said:
Even better Mike, try an unincorporated area, we have no "elected officials" on the city level where I live. Funny thing is, everything seems to be just hunky dory here :D
yeah we have a president and a bunch of representatives making all the rules, and then under them you have governors and a bunch of representatives, then at the city level you get a mayor and a bunch of "representatives" (city council), then you have an education board with a supervisor and a bunch of "representatives" and you have this at local, state and federal levels, as well as health care, etc.... yeah it's no fricking wonder why government can't get anything done and why it costs so damn much when we do..

Sfork said:
lol @ that plastic bag ordinance. All it did was force grocers to get even thicker plastic bags that wont be considered "one use"
Yeah, one Asian market I go to simply have super thick bags with the word "reusable" stamped on them... and you want to know how many people I see bringing those bags into the market? ZERO! I feel funny bringing my shopping bags into the store (not theirs)... also to add insult to plastic injury just about every damn piece of produce is wrapped up in a plastic bag.

tuberider said:
yeah we have a president and a bunch of representatives making all the rules, and then under them you have governors and a bunch of representatives, then at the city level you get a mayor and a bunch of "representatives" (city council), then you have an education board with a supervisor and a bunch of "representatives" and you have this at local, state and federal levels, as well as health care, etc.... yeah it's no fricking wonder why government can't get anything done and why it costs so damn much when we do..

Sfork said:
Yeah, one Asian market I go to simply have super thick bags with the word "reusable" stamped on them... and you want to know how many people I see bringing those bags into the market? ZERO! I feel funny bringing my shopping bags into the store (not theirs)... also to add insult to plastic injury just about every damn piece of produce is wrapped up in a plastic bag.

It kills me when they bag individual items in plastic bags then all into another. Hell give me my change in one as well, and my parking ticket!!!

And it was only a matter of time before it happened. People have been pointing out for the last decade that if the industry doesn't clean itself up, or that if hobbyists keep supporting horrible places like 6th that government will start doing things...and here we go. I am not surprised at all.

I'd rather see the price of livestock double and the difference be used to enforce/develop strict guidelines and actionable control.

..but that's a pipe dream.

Gomer said:
I'd rather see the price of livestock double and the difference be used to enforce/develop strict guidelines and actionable control.

no way I want to see that. I can imagine the fluster cluck of having some local enforcement created from a position that quite frankly doesn't know their butt from a hole in the ground when it comes to fish or "plants' (aka corals :D). Not to mention doubling the price of livestock to pay for enforcement equates to a special tax that's slapped on all pet store owners that sell fish.

Gomer said:

Not necessarily a pipe dream. They did it with cigarettes. It would just take some interested parties to navigate the legislation hurdles. Given the current political climate and the “hot topics” of animal cruelty, coral/reef destruction, and global warming it might not be that difficult to do something statewide. Considering that it wouldn’t outright ban sales and would salve people conscience that they’re doing something it would be considered a win/win.

-Gregory

sfsuphysics said:
Gomer said:

no way I want to see that. I can imagine the fluster cluck of having some local enforcement created from a position that quite frankly doesn't know their butt from a hole in the ground when it comes to fish or "plants' (aka corals :D). Not to mention doubling the price of livestock to pay for enforcement equates to a special tax that's slapped on all pet store owners that sell fish.
That's why I said a pipe dream. I don't think it would be implemented right.

Back