Our mission

Sand brand seems to matter

rygh

BOD
BOD
Just FYI. I recently added some sugar-fine sand to my fuge.
Tropic Eden was WAY better than Carib Sea.

I had an old Carib Sea Aragamax sugar fine bag.
I bought a new Tropic Eden sugar fine bag.
Both advertise around 0.5 mm, little rinsing.

What a difference!!

The Carib Sea took a ton of washing before water was clear. Tropic Eden took one quick rinse.
A big difference, because I had to wash the Carib sea using the hose, instead of a quick salt water rinse.

I think the sand consistency was better also.
Tropic Eden was all around the same size. Sugar fine, no tiny particles, few larger ones.
Carib sea had a lot of variation. Some blows around, some is too large.

I know you can get CaribSea's "regular" aragonite for about $5 per 10lbs, but you need to not be so picky about size/look :D

At MACNA I did see a number of different "sands" out there, Two Little Fishies had sand that looked really nice in the bag (consistently sized), another company had what's called "PaleoSand" apparently comes from ancient coral fossils in France (when it was underwater), even Cobalt has some sands that come out, one looked like undissolved salt and claimed to buffer your pH to 8.1-8.4, said CaCO3 on the container but it looked very much more crystally than sand, maybe it's not from parrot fish poop? Also had a black "sand" that doesn't buffer at all, and hopefully not the same issues as "Hawaiian Black" that seems to have metal particles that stick to magnets in it.

Back