Sand cleaners

Discussion in 'Fish and Invertebrates' started by Flagg37, May 21, 2016.

1. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Look what I just vacuumed out of my sand bed. Yuch. image.jpg

This may be the dirtiest I've ever seen it.

I've still never seen the sea cucumber.

2. OnTheReef

OnTheReef OnTheReef (Eric) Supporting Member

@Flagg37 Sea cucumbers have defensive toxins in their bodies to avoid getting eaten, some more than others. If a sea cucumber died in your tank, you would probably see some stress or some serious stinky goo in your skimmer. I would try to find it. Chances are you are just missing it inside or under something.

3. Which is why I won't have one.

4. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

The fact that most sea cucumber look like a piece of moving turd would be a much bigger deterrent for me lol.

5. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

It for sure hadn't died. I checked my nitrates a couple days ago and it was at my normal 5 or so.

6. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Here he is. He finally emerged.
    image.jpg
    He sure does blend in.

7. jonmos75

jonmos75 Supporting Member

It has been years that I had one in my tank...lol

I had a tan one like yours and a Black and Pink one once in my tank.

8. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Alas, I had to remove Hawkeye (our sea cucumber). He spent the last few days on the glass up at the surface. He was boyant and couldn't submerge. I took him out before he died to make sure he didn't release any toxins back into the tank.

I never thought he did all that great of a job cleaning the sand but already the sand has become quite dirty so it's apparent that he was doing a much better job than I gave him credit for.

9. MolaMola

MolaMola Supporting Member

Bummer. We love our yellow tiger tail cuke, even though he does not have a pearly jawfish living in his anus. That thing is a great sand cleaner. I love your conch and think we will add one.

10. You love him even though he doesn't have a pearly jawfish living in his anus? I'll bet your husband is breathing a sigh of relief.

11. Gablami

Gablami Supporting Member

How would one know if he had a pearly jawfish living in his anus?

Fighting conches are great, I have 2. Always working hard. I've read to get one per 50g.

I'm thinking about getting a goby to sand sift too. Ive been reading that diamond may be too aggressive if a sand sifted (sand storms and corals covered). Might try the tiger watchman goby.

12. Step away from the diamond goby (or a Gold Head.) They completely destroyed my first tank and are uncatchable.

13. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

I think it's one of those things where you just don't know until it happens to you, then you KNOW.

MolaMola and Coral reefer like this.
  14. Kremis

Kremis Supporting Member

Diamond sand sifting goby, I had a pair but one died, 1 still does a good job keeping my 180 gallon sand clean. Before when I had 2, you could tell if they cleaned for a few hours because the water got a lil cloudy, but now with 1 that does not happen. I added them after trying to eliminate diatoms/cyano for half a year, and it was all gone within a month.

Coral reefer likes this.
  15. MolaMola

MolaMola Supporting Member

Now I want an assortment of sand sifters in addition to a shrimp-goby pair.
    My classroom is officially going to try a cheap night vision webcam, probably in January, so we can really see what goes on in the tank overnight. One student today suggested a new engineering design challenge of a sea cucumber "buttcam." We watched a video in which a researcher superglued a tracking device on a box jellyfish so now they all want to mess with our inverts.

Ashalye and Coral reefer like this.
  16. 650-IS350

650-IS350 Supporting Member

Best sand cleaner IMO, tiger tail cucumber

Have them for years. same one gave me 2 babies. one passed away a while ago, but never nuked the tank.

But if you want a fish sand cleaner, Dragon Sleeper gobies.

17. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

The dragon sleeper is a new one to me. I'll have to check that one out.

18. Gablami

Gablami Supporting Member

Yeah I'm looking into that dragon sleeper too.

Basically I want to switch to a continuous water change with the Dos. Zeovit has small volume water changes, and it makes it a lot more convenient. But that means I won't be siphoning detritus. I have about a 1.5 in sand bed. It's pretty clean now but I want to keep it clean before my tank gets more heavily stocked. Want a goby to keep it spotless but not drop sand all over my corals (so a low altitude sifter). Will also look into cucumber...