Jestersix

sBox Extreme 32" - Any Good thoughts?

So I am doing some research (since I am seriously thinking on a 100g tank by the end of the year)
:):):)

I am building on a budget and was going for some Chinese black boxes and saw these sBox extreme 32.

This guy is using 3 fixture from SB Reefer (and some t5) and got some good pars:

I was thinking on this one: https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-reef-lights/4-sbox-pro-32-timer.html that are pretty much the same as having two oceanic revives (and will also have some t5s).

Let me know your thoughts about this..

Yes it's some good PAR value, but at what energy cost. 330 at the bottom of a 22" tank is great, but those lights use 363watts when doing so.

SB Reef Lights proprietary layout and spectrum
So proprietary they won't even show you the layout! :D

But yeah it's a "black box" light, I feel you are always going to be gambling on those so have to ask your price is it worth the risk.

FYI, you should know that that guy "FishOfHex" doesn't even use Chinese black boxes anymore. What happened is that he got them for free from SBReefLights and he was doing the videos to shill for them. They broke in less than a year and he switched to Ecotech Radions I think. Look at his newer videos to see what he runs now, but he did make a video cursing these exact lights...

Always seemed to me that if you were doing lighting on a budget, but wanted corals to flourish the best bet would be used T5's. You can always find a used fixture for anywhere from free to less than $50.00 and they grow corals well.

one more thing to think about it, is this chinese black box has 0 resale value... thinka bout all the kessils and ecotechs that still sell for at least half wh at it is new, but the chinese black box is worth 0 dollars when you try to sell it
no one will buy it

Here is what their proprietary layout is...

"Simple, where most black boxes like MarsAqua, GalaxyHydro, Reef Radiance, Evergrow and Reef Breeders use a shotgun method approach, loading in as many different diodes as possible, hoping to hit the right wavelengths, we instead, as seen below, hit all of the key photosynthesis points hard. No wasted energy in wavelengths that do not benefit coral growth and color.

Spectrum%20Nodes%20-%20Logo_1.jpg

The cross point of Chlorophyll A and C is 447nm, that is where Zooxanthallae are most efficient. We hit it very hard. Also note 420nm is where Chlorophyll A peaks and we hit that hard as well. We have more 420nm than any other black box. Also note 420nm is a trigger wavelength that tricks corals into thinking they are in shallower water, resulting in development of more protective pigment "Color". Note we don't hit the 470nm peak of Chlorophyll C as hard, there is a valid reason for this. Chlorophyll C saturates at a lower photon energy, and has a much lower density in most typical corals than Chlorophyll A. This means adding more energy there adds no value after a point. Instead we do something no other black box lights do, we hit the secondary absorption point of the cartenoids present in the Chloroplast hard. The cartenoids absorb the 490nm wavelength and convert the energy into a source the chloroplast can better use. The Cartenoid Peridinin is present in higher concentration than Chlorophyll C as well. We also hit the 660nm peaks of Chlorophyll A&C. Finally we have 395nm True UV, which not only adds to coral flourescence, but development of protective color pigments by again tricking the coral into thinking it's in shallower water. The issue with true UVs though is that the UV actually destroys the lens over time. We have solved this problem by finding a better quality diode with a silica lens instead of plastic. Makes for a little more expensive diode, but it will last more than the 1 year max you get out of a typical plastic lens. For our white channel, we have just enough green and yellow for aesthetics, with the bulk of diodes in the 14K range. We also have 20K diodes, something no other black box has. This provides for a crisp white with hints of blue.

Absorption%20points-.png

That means our light provides more PUR than any other black box, while helping to provide coral coloration only possible with T5s before.

Not all black boxes are created equal! We will put our growth rates and coral color up against any LED, even the trendy high priced fixtures. Add to that quieter fans that have higher CFM for cooler operating temperatures and longer diode life, Built in mounting legs and hanging kit, and finally a 2 YEAR USA WARRANTY!! All for much less than other premium black boxes."

FYI, you should know that that guy "FishOfHex" doesn't even use Chinese black boxes anymore. What happened is that he got them for free from SBReefLights and he was doing the videos to shill for them. They broke in less than a year and he switched to Ecotech Radions I think. Look at his newer videos to see what he runs now, but he did make a video cursing these exact lights...
Oh man.. good to know. Thanks a lot

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I were to try a light from them, they are marketing their Ultra line that's coming soon. Although their lights are Chinese imports, I do have their sBar actinic led bar which I like and it's decently priced.

Back