sBox Extreme 32" - Any Good thoughts?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by enaldy, Sep 14, 2017.

1. enaldy

enaldy Supporting Member

That was some good info.. thanks a lot!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

The $700 one is a single fixture for a 4-5 ft long tank though... not that I would ever buy one of those.

3. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Something you should probably watch

BRS team actually tests one of the "black box" lights, granted they are not all the same, but man o man, seeing that flat plate where all of them are mounted on as the extent of the heatsink forever makes me not even want to try these regardless of the price (or my level of cheapassery).

DEATH BY SNU SNU likes this.
  4. enaldy

enaldy Supporting Member

lol.. I just received this email too.. :)

5. rcaron20

rcaron20 Guest

Maybe this will help all grown under sb reef light no t5 or MH for me [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

enaldy likes this.
  6. rcaron20

rcaron20 Guest

[​IMG]

enaldy likes this.
  7. rcaron20

rcaron20 Guest

[​IMG]

This one was my favorite aqua sd rainbow mili ( lost colony so if anyone has it pm me)

I fully trust sb reef lights never ran them at 100% so you would only be using half -75 percent wattage unless you were hanging them really high or had a deep tank mine was 24" deep mine ran 2 years no issues loved the wifi option, no longer using them because I switch to a bigger tank and needed a lot more light and and I couldn't afford 6 of them so I went cheaper and got the mars aqua and rewired them to connect to apex. After all the time and parts I bought in hindsight i should have just spent the money up front and got sb reef lights again but live and learn if I get anything close to the color and growth with my cheaper lights I would be happy. The lights are easy to work on and you can get replacement parts for them however I never had a single issue. If you want to know more about my experience with the sb reef light just pm me but I can tell you I had many die hard metal halide and t5 fans tell me my tank looks better than theirs and they can't believe how good it looks with leds and my electric bill is lower and I don't have to buy bulbs every 8 months so they pay for themselves in a few years... try and find someone who used the lights and didn't like them and why don't go off what the naysayers with no experience with them have to say

enaldy likes this.
  8. DEATH BY SNU SNU

DEATH BY SNU SNU Supporting Member

what percent did you have your whites and blues?

ashburn2k and enaldy like this.
  9. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Supporting Member

And how high do you hang above the water

10. DEATH BY SNU SNU

I have SBreeflights... and have noticed slower growth of corals compared to T5 same photoperiod. Water parameters 35 ppt, 2 ppm nitrates, phosphates 0.05, Ca 450, Alk 7.5, Mg 1350 ppm,

11. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

If your frags came from a tank with T5s, it will take a while to adapt to LEDs.

12. yellojello

yellojello Supporting Member

13. DEATH BY SNU SNU

Good question, I didn't have a Par meter at the time. The problem was that whenever I tried to turn up the intensity, the SPS would bleach, I then had to turn it back down and wait for them to color up, which they did in a few weeks to a month..

14. DEATH BY SNU SNU

You're right about that,

15. rcaron20

rcaron20 Guest

Lights were 10 inches off water. Started them at 50 bleached some stuff turned them down to 25 and worked up to 70 never got over 70 if I tried things would bleach. But I know some do get them to 100 maybe corals deep light higher or dirty water what ever the case 70 was my MAX

16. DEATH BY SNU SNU

70 for what? white or blue?
    how much white? how much blue?

17. rcaron20

rcaron20 Guest

70 blue
    65 white
    35 uv didn't want to push this one maybe I could have gone higher..

I got to these numbers over several months bumping them just a little each week like 5% max each week and the higher I got the lower the increase to prevent coming home to a bunch of bleached corals

18. DEATH BY SNU SNU

I had my UVs at 100, Blues at 100, whites at 50

19. DEATH BY SNU SNU

By the way, before I forget to mention. I have tested the PAR between Marsaqua vs. SBReeflights right next to each other. Setting for setting, SBREeflights produces about 100-150 more PAR than Marsaqua on same settings.

enaldy likes this.
  20. enaldy

enaldy Supporting Member

I got the ocean revives and they are pretty great.. had them at 20 and 15 percent to start.. and now I am increasing as I go.. will get a par meter to see how are the par around the tank soon..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk