Neptune Aquatics

Scarbirds Reef

Kmooresf said:
Nice tank! What kind of light is that? You've got some nice coral! Congrats!
Thank you!
I have 2 AI SOL units about 18" above the water.
I am looking to diversify my coral selection with some more acros in the near future.
I may head down to Neptunes today and see if anything is left over from January's big shipment.

denzil said:
Quite the reef!
Thanks Denzil, always room for improvement however.
When I started this tank I wish I had let it simmer for about 90 days prior to adding lights or inhabitants.
I think it really helps the growth of coraline algae, which I do not have enough of, in my opinion.

Scarbird said:
denzil said:
Quite the reef!
Thanks Denzil, always room for improvement however.
When I started this tank I wish I had let it simmer for about 90 days prior to adding lights or inhabitants.
I think it really helps the growth of coraline algae, which I do not have enough of, in my opinion.
Yeah, I was actually planning to let my 40B sit for six months. :)

Unfortunately, that means I won't get anything in my tank until September. =/

My Sump(s)
My current extended sump is an adopted version of what Hunter did on his DT at Lucky Goldfish.
  • In the back room there is a small amount of live rock in the top tank.
  • Below there is a bunch of live sand and some more live rock.
  • Recently I removed some miracle mud and macro algae and lighting from the top sump tank.
  • The left tank below my DT has the skimmer (euroreef) and the MJ1200 which is plumbed to feed the top rear sump tank, then spilling over to the bottom.
    The right tank below the DT has live sand, a small amount of live rock, and macro algae.

My dosing setup consists of Alk and Calc jugs (5 gal each) and a Kalk vat.
    The Kalk is a recent addition, and is dosed during night hours. This is also when the refugium (right below DT) is lit.
    The spectrapure dual reactor is also a new addition and has greatly improved my water quality. I notice the DT viewing panes need cleaning much less frequently.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/Sump 001.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/Sump 002.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/Sump 008.JPG

Fellow Reefers,
I just scored a new frag tank from a buddy. It is an old sushi display tank, long story.
The tank is 45" long X 10" wide and 10" deep.
I have egg crate material to put in for frag racks.
A couple questions for seasoned veterans:

• What would you recommend for lighting?
    Since the tank is shallow, what would you recommend for flow?
    How far below the water surface would you put the racks?
    Acro is the focus.
    Best color is the goal.
    Would you put a fish (or two) into this tank?
    This is my first frag tank. All advice is appreciated.
    Pictures to come
    Best Regards,
    John

Lucky! So jealous!

Any budget for stocking equipment? My personal suggestion would be a a couple Kessil A350W's, one MP10W, and maybe some fish. I'm no veteran, that's just my suggestion, LoL. So, we'll see how wrong I am compared to those who have run a frag tank before. This would be as much as a learning experience for you as it will be for me. :)

Thanks Denzil,
Budget is very low. I will look to find people getting rid of their stuff at a discount.
This tank will be tied in to the main system for now. When I get a new larger DT (hopefully the marine land 250 or 300)
this will end up on its own.
John

Hey John,

Congrats on the pick up. It's a very odd shape, so lighting might be tricky. I'm thinkin the Kessils will be way too much light for such a shallow and narrow tank. T5's would work fine for you, however if you want to stay with LED, you will want to look at some strip lights. There are many out there now days. I just bought some of the Ecoxotic Panorama "Marine" fixtures. I am very impressed with them. I believe you could put a 48" over your tank and be fine. It is actually just over 46" so it would hang over on the ends. You could do a 36", but would have to get creative with how to set it on the tank. They are pretty cheap when looking at other LED systems, and should cover that tank just fine. They come with dimmers for the blue and white on seperate channels as well. Might work? Good luck.

Kmooresf said:
Hey John,

Congrats on the pick up. It's a very odd shape, so lighting might be tricky. I'm thinkin the Kessils will be way too much light for such a shallow and narrow tank. T5's would work fine for you, however if you want to stay with LED, you will want to look at some strip lights. There are many out there now days. I just bought some of the Ecoxotic Panorama "Marine" fixtures. I am very impressed with them. I believe you could put a 48" over your tank and be fine. It is actually just over 46" so it would hang over on the ends. You could do a 36", but would have to get creative with how to set it on the tank. They are pretty cheap when looking at other LED systems, and should cover that tank just fine. They come with dimmers for the blue and white on seperate channels as well. Might work? Good luck.

Thanks Kris:) :) :smile:

Back