Reef nutrition

Schmitty's 29g BioCube

Schmitty

Supporting Member
BioCube_day1.jpg

It's just day one; but here's a photo of the new tank, moonlit with water in it on its first night in my apartment. The heater is running and the water is almost up to correct temperature. Ill be adjusting that and the salinity tonight. Perplexing a little bit over weather to go with white or black in the sand department. Leaning towards white since that's what Ive done in the past and it seems to reflect light better, but Im guessing the colorful corals and fish will really look nice popping out a little more on a black sand with black backdrop. Stay tuned...

I added 40lbs of sand and about 30lbs of live rock last night. I'll get a photo when the cloudiness disappears. Still having a little problem getting the protein skimmer to not be noisy...

Yo tuberider, how do i do that? Also, how much do I want to open that air tube... part of the noise is the vibration (I think of the pump), so Im looking into putting something to wedge against it that doesnt let it rattle, but yes, the air tube is the other part. thanks for any information on how to make a silencer.

What I did for a nice silencer for my pumps so they don't rattle in my sump is glue some flex line tubing to the bottom as a sort of shock absorber. Helped quite a bit.

Easiest silencer would be a piece of 1/2" PVC capped at both ends with a hole drilled for the airline, and a hole drilled for the feed air. Put some floss in the PVC with the airline and regulator, cap and your set.

I use my ears to tune smaller skimmers, so that would be hard for me to explain here.

well do you want some air to be coming through where it makes that dentist chair noise, or do you turn it just in a way where the noise just leaves almost closing it?

I shut it down and ramp it up until I hear a consistent whine, if I "hear" the bubbles, I'm not getting enough crunch. I know that's not clear, sorry, I'm used to dialing in BakPaks and such where I can't see the skimmer. When I can see the skimmer body I rely on my eyes and ears.

liveRocks.jpg

Here's my tank right after adding the live rock and sand. I think Im going to need to add a few more live rock and assemble it differently, but it's hard to figure out exactly not knowing what size pieces Ill get and where they'll go. The adventure begins.

Note the big live rock soaking in fresh cold water, thanks for all the tips. Would love any tips on assorting live rock, seems like I should go with more small rocks then less big rocks?

I just got 9 pounds of better looking rock with holes and better shapes, so I swapped it in and took some out, Ill have a photo tomorrow, but the tank is full now. I think once the cylce ends, Ill start adding corals and need to remove one or two rocks. The waiting game begins!

I tested the water and it looks like the cycle is complete. I noticed at least four stomatella snails crusing around, so that gives me positivity towards my first purchase. I am now adding two red hermit crabs and three turbo snails.

firstDay_coralFish.jpg

Today I got a fire fish and a green Zoo, look at em coupling up as the first two pieces to the puzzle after a week of ground crew... Cant wait to get another piece, I'll be broke in no time. haha

Looks like I got it working, I guess images aren't working or something.

Anyways, Im back! I wanted to share a photo of my tank but maybe soon... I still have the 29 gallon and am asking for ideas for cool fish/corals that I can add to a regular light situation. I want to get a rose anenome and I have a clown... Thinking Goby too to clean the sand...

Im working on getting some new photos, it's been a while since Ive been in here. Got a frogspawn, some mushrooms and struggline Zoas. For some reason my Zoas never end up growing if anything, they slowly disappear... do you think it has to do with the water flow?

Does that Nuvo tank come with all the filtration/stuff in the back like an all-in-one? Or is it just a stand alone tank where you need to add an overflow if you want it.

Back