Kessil

Scott's 180 Peninsula

Scott Sweet

Supporting Member
Well, the tank is up and running and stocking has started :). YEA! I have posted a couple of photos earlier...but here they are again. More to follow.

Main-Tank-2.jpg

I did a par reading on the tank on two different times... Anyone want to borrow my Par meter, let me know...I live in Campbell.

4pm
PAR-4pm.jpg

10am - Highest setting right now.
PAR-10am.jpg

My latest additions from SDAqua and Top Shelf...

ASD Jesus Acropora (2) 1
ASD Wizards Acro 2 1
ASD Pink Tipped Acropora 1
ASD Idaho Grape Monti 3 1
ASD Blue Dragon Monti 2 1
ASD Pink Barbie Mille1
ASD Shortcake 2 1
ASD Hot Pink Blossom 3 1
ASD Red Robin Table 4 1
Limited Edition Joe's Golden Dragon Acropora 3
Flamethrower Favia - WYSIWYG LPS Frag × 1
Paletta Pink Tip - WYSIWYG SPS Frag × 1
TSA Bubblelicious Chalice - WYSIWYG LPS Frag × 1
JF Burning Banana Stylo - WYSIWYG SPS Frag × 1
Aussie Gold Tort - WYSIWYG SPS Frag × 1
JF Freak Hair Pavona - WYSIWYG LPS Frag × 1

So you’ve got all the acros already? Just kidding. Sort of. Excited to see what this looks like as they grow out.
Yes. I have designed this tank with acros as my target. This is not my first reef :).

Here is the thing, I have been slow to get the bacteria up, have a refugium running since the beginning with macro algae, have already seeded it with copepods and phytoplankton for several weeks now. My clean up crew have been in the tank from the beginning. My parameters are very consistent with all the built in automation/redundancy. My ORP is over 400 already.

I am adding corals slowly to see how they do before adding more. All corals are being dipped and quarantined. This allows me to get my parameters dialed in as consumption starts. When consumption starts, I slowly modify the dosing to manage the consumption.

I did a Triton test before I added anything to the tank to get a baseline. I will be monitoring it as things progress. With the Triton testing, you take the guessing game out of it. When I did a reef back in the late 90's, it was all a guessing game because the hobby level test kits are simply not comprehensive enough to know what is really going on from a chemistry perspective. Today, we can know exactly what is going on.

I am only at the beginning and trying to pre-empt the typical problems with the reef hobby :). Yes, it is expensive, but golly, it is sure nice to know exactly what is going on at any point of time whenever my OCD on parameters takes hold of my personality LOL. I am always on my Neptune and/or GHL cloud sites LOL...

Gotta say, 380 at the water level seems awfully low for 6(?) of those Mitrax fixtures.
Ya, I thought the same. I need to go back and look at the programming on the overall brightness. I just took someone else's programming from the GHL site. Now that I have the PARs, I can fiddle with the settings. That said...the corals are happy for now.

Looking good!!

It is an interesting debate one when to add acros ....
Is an "established" tank always best? Since Algae and other things become established as well.
But since I seem to have bad luck either way, I really have no opinion. :)

Back