Neptune Aquatics

Season's Greetings/Red Hot Chili Pepper Monti

I received mine from Jim after paying his $20 "shipping and handling" fee which he assured me was normal.

It's now warming bagged in the frag tank before being dipped.

Thanks again!

Wow Mike. How did you get such a deal? Jim charged me $40! And it's not even my coral!!

He must be earning money for a Gem Tang...

One coral chunk being kept warm and cozy in Petaluma.

aqua-nut said:
Wow Mike. How did you get such a deal? Jim charged me $40! And it's not even my coral!!

He must be earning money for a Gem Tang...

One coral chunk being kept warm and cozy in Petaluma.

Thanks! And a huge thanks to gimmito.

Took the disc off the tiny frag for zero to eliminate any dieoff during the layovers. Should be plenty fine and if not, there will be more and larger chunks available.

I also looked at an old log/actual tank journal and confirmed that my original piece came from Poletti so it's as real as the real deal can really be.

Hey Con, I haven't quite figure out if the Monti is dead or just extremely bleached out. When I took it out of the bag Sunday morning (was floating in my tank overnight), I noticed that the green was completely white and only a small portion of the polyps were red. I'm not sure if the amount of water in the bag had anything to do with it. I placed it at the top of the tank next to the other monti but it seems to have completely died off or bleached out. I just set it at the bottom of my tank right under the MP10 yesterday hoping it will make it's way back. I fear that it may have died but hopefully I'm wrong. :(

denzil said:
Hey Con, I haven't quite figure out if the Monti is dead or just extremely bleached out. When I took it out of the bag Sunday morning (was floating in my tank overnight), I noticed that the green was completely white and only a small portion of the polyps were red. I'm not sure if the amount of water in the bag had anything to do with it. I placed it at the top of the tank next to the other monti but it seems to have completely died off or bleached out. I just set it at the bottom of my tank right under the MP10 yesterday hoping it will make it's way back. I fear that it may have died but hopefully I'm wrong. :(

Unlikely water had anything to deal with it - They're often shipped in less water :D
Your tank has LEDs, right? Could have put it right under a hot spot and bleached it. Even though it's near the other monti, it may be just far away enough that the hot spot got it. If there's still flesh, it may come back.
No biggie, I'll have more frags whenever. ;)

iCon said:
denzil said:

Unlikely water had anything to deal with it - They're often shipped in less water :D
Your tank has LEDs, right? Could have put it right under a hot spot and bleached it. Even though it's near the other monti, it may be just far away enough that the hot spot got it. If there's still flesh, it may come back.
No biggie, I'll have more frags whenever. ;)

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, have the Rapid kit that Julio donated to me. I hope its way back... would much rather prefer that then getting another frag. I'd feel more accomplished/proud that way, LoL. I'm going to put the Remora on the tank as soon as I get the collection cup. The Remora that Kris gave me was missing the lid so I figured I'd just order the entire cup and install the skimmer once I get it, which looks to be tomorrow according to the tracking info. :)

I have bad news to report about mine as well. I dipped it for only a short time on Saturday evening after acclimation and put it into the frag tank in a lower light area. By lights out on Sunday it was suffering badly and nearly completely gone by Monday morning. It seems unchanged since then but unfortunately I am not sure if it's still alive.

I am uncertain what aspect of the transit or handling was so stressful and am really bummed to (probably) have lost a coral that was generously offered.

bondolo said:
I have bad news to report about mine as well. I dipped it for only a short time on Saturday evening after acclimation and put it into the frag tank in a lower light area. By lights out on Sunday it was suffering badly and nearly completely gone by Monday morning. It seems unchanged since then but unfortunately I am not sure if it's still alive.

I am uncertain what aspect of the transit or handling was so stressful and am really bummed to (probably) have lost a coral that was generously offered.

Hmm, did you dip in iodine?

Wow, 2/4 casualties is pretty bad esp. only for delivery with no shipping involved...Frags weren't freshly cut or anything so stress should have been pretty minimal. Hmmm.....

zeroinverse said:
Maybe it was just too cold that day?
I was surprised that mine also displayed some STN/RTN on the edges. Still waiting to see if it survives.

Montis lose flesh on the edges when stressed - Pretty common from ones I've received in the mail. But since these weren't in the mail or anything, I'm a little puzzled.

I've had montis comeback from next to nothing, so give it some time and maybe it will.
The colonies are relatively big and grow pretty fast so I can get everyone frags if I decide to give it another go.

Pretty disappointing DBTC distribution. I thought this monti was bullet proof :D

I'm seeing a few red polyps (assuming it isn't just fish food) coming out of the completely bleached out monti. I really hope it's making its way back to thriving.

Sorry to say that the quarter sized frag did not make. It was slowly receding since pickup and finally gave up the fight.

Would really love to know what parameter/issue cause this to happen since others seems to also have problems.

zeroinverse said:
Sorry to say that the quarter sized frag did not make. It was slowly receding since pickup and finally gave up the fight.

Would really love to know what parameter/issue cause this to happen since others seems to also have problems.

Hmm...Not sure these frags could have been any healthier. Cut a while ago and all showing new growth. Even the tiniest ;)
Size was not an issue. I've had frags from 1/2 pinky nail size make it to full colonies with no problems. The expensive ones I've bought online were about that size or smaller and did fine shipped from the east coast :)

Although I didn't test water temp...

Got the frag from Gimmito in the parking lot. Walked directly to my car and put it in an insulated box that had some warm water (aprox 90 degrees) in a bottle. I wanted to counteract the cold mass of the foam and box. From there the frag was in the box aprox. 5 hours. At that point it was floated in a sump. I don't know the temp of the sump but let's just assume 78-80. It was in the sump overnight.

I don't know how better this could have been done. I'm open to suggestions!

Wow mine only one that made it...:-( I did have one thing happen to mine it was my fault tho. I placed in range of a acro that got nocked over and,left small burn but that was all. Did water change yesterday and all is good. Frag is in center frame at start of this video. Sry to all that lost there's. Ill keep u all posted on mine.

How do I put video or pic in post instead of a link?
Thx robert

Back