High Tide Aquatics

Seeding pods?

Nav

I am planning to seed my 29g with pods so I can get a mandarin after a few months. I don't have sump & all I have are HOB filter & skimmer.

I found this cheap package that ships free http://www.reefs2go.com/product/INV...pepodsMobile&gclid=CM3MyIW9-L0CFcqUfgodY1YAPQ

Couple of questions:

1. Are pods good? (Or considered hitchhikers)

2. Other than being food, what so they do?

3. So they look ugly in a display tank?

4. Do I just drop package contents into my display tank?

5. If not a mandarin, what other fish eat pods?

Thanks for any advise.

Pods are good.
They eat really small stuff.
Drop the package in the tank and run.
29g might be too small for a mandarin without constantly seeding pods.
They look pretty (especially to other pods).

Reactions: Nav
Just got my package yesterday from reefs2go to help seed my refugium on my 100g, it's a decent package for the price. It's a mix of copepods and amphipods.

Pods are good, they are small and eat small bits of detritus and live throughout the tank rocks and sand.

They aren't ugly but they definitely aren't show specimens. You won't really see them during the day.

I floated mine in the sump, they don't come in hardly any water and there is some filter floss in the bag. I just fill the bag with my tank water and did a shake and bake kinda motion and poured into fuge. Then set the filter floss in there to let them swim out.

29g and that new of a tank is too small for a mandarin to live healthy and properly. They hunt hundreds of pods a day. Wrasses also eat lots of pods.

Reactions: Nav
I think all my fish eat them, but only my mandarin hunts them.
I've bought the reefs2go pods a couple times. Wait for the next deal. I think you get 2000 for $50.
I need to buy one more bag soon. PM me if you want to get them too and we can split the shipping.

1. Are pods good? (Or considered hitchhikers)
Some are good some aren't good

2. Other than being food, what so they do?
They're one level in a biological network in your tank, will things eat them? possible. But what about them? Do they eat anything? Absolutely. Perhaps it's what they eat that really interests you to get them.

3. So they look ugly in a display tank?
You'll never get so many that they will be ugly in a display tank. I have some reproducing fairly well in a fish-less tank, and you are hard pressed to notice them, and usually they will only come out at night because they don't know there are any fish in there

4. Do I just drop package contents into my display tank?
Depends how many you want to survive, if you drop them in with the lights, your fish will say "thanks for the meal" and probably pick off a good number of them. Best to put them in at night when your fish are not active, or in a refugium if you have it

5. If not a mandarin, what other fish eat pods?
Most all fish.

copepods should be fine, I can't think of a dangerous version of them but I'm hardly an expert on the subject.

Couldn't tell you how fast they reproduced, they stayed hidden most of the time, food sources inevitably was a limiting factor in their growth I'd say since I never fed the coral only tank.

Back