High Tide Aquatics

Selcon vs fuel

Has anyone used these products before? Do you have a preference for one or the other? From what I can tell, fuel says its for corals, selcon has a fish on it. I would think they are very similar

Selcon is a vitamin supplement used mostly for fish. They recommend that you soak fish food in the Selcon, or feed it to live brine shrimp to increase their nutritional value before feeding to the fish. Not clear if Selcon in the water column aids corals.

Fuel is a blend of amino acids, vitamins, fatty acids, and carbohydrates intended to be dosed in the tank to enable coral growth. Since it is suspended in the water column, fish will get minimal, or no benefit from fuel.

BTW, I am hearing of algae and cyano outbreaks in tanks dosing Fuel heavily. Caution is encouraged. Another alternative for corals is AcroPower, which contains only the amino acids.

Hope this helps,

Jim

I am using fuel. Only dose once a week. Small cyno outbreak now but cant say for sure if its from fuel. I feed heavily and would lean more towards that. Cyno is under control

I've been using fuel for the sps in my frag tank for about 6 months now. It's the only additive that is used by a friend in Sac with the one of the nicest SPS tanks I've ever seen. But only once or twice a week and exactly to the recommended dose.

Yep. Based on whet is being reported, the issue arises when dosing heavily (above instructions on the bottle) to achieve greater growth.

Just like everything else in life, too much of a good thing is never a good thing. It's all about moderation. I'll just go get myself my third Red Bull for the day now. Have a good day...

Back when I was using an Algae Scrubber, and basically starving the tank of nutrients,
I started using Acropower, and it made a noticeable difference.
I even put it on an auto-doser.
But once I switched to a non low-nutrient tank, I stopped when the bottle ran out,
and it made no difference.

So like so many things - it depends on your tank.

So I've just been soaking pellets in fuel, then feeding the pellets to fish and corals. Are fuel and selcon relatively similar in ingredients, or are they vastly different?

Fuel is amino acid for corals don't need soaking in food. Selcon is for fish so soaking that for fish is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back