Neptune Aquatics

Seminolecpa's 180G upgrade

Yep you can clearly see the original frag and the plug I glues to the rockwork as well as the growth since. The sad thing is it is growing so fast it is starting to encrust up the acros that are next to it (including that aussie echinata on the left). Lesson to be learned..... encrusting montis can be just as intrusive as the plating ones and think about these things when you place frags.

You can see some of the rearranging I have been doing represented by the white patches in between the purple corraline covered rocks. It is a major PITA as you not only have to move the colonies, yu also have to either chisel off the encrusted parts and/or epoxy over them or it grows right back again. That valida in the right corner of pic 1 and 2 is an encrusting whore and I am constantly having to mess with it to keep it in line. Another lesson learned, even when you have a tank full of frags it is really important to lay out and plan your corals well or you will surely pay the price for it later. Sure you may have a long while with bare looking patches but it will save you a ton of time in the long run. Pic 7 shows where I moved an entire colony of pink lemonade away from Jeremy's FAD as they were slowly growing into and killing each other

before top down

20101107-DSC_0997.jpg

after from the front including lots of chiseling etc

20101205-DSC_1092.jpg

JAR said:
time to pop that frag plug from the sunset monti. :bigsmile:
sweet tank man!

Its the ever present before and after shot. Got to love it. Bryan, thanks for passing on the gems you keep learning as your coral grows out. I figure i have space for three branching SPS to grow out in my tiny tank. Choosing carefully. I'll now make sure there is a rock break between them and the encrusting corals.

seminolecpa said:
...The sad thing is it is growing so fast it is starting to encrust up the acros that are next to it (including that aussie echinata on the left). Lesson to be learned..... encrusting montis can be just as intrusive as the plating ones and think about these things when you place frags..

Thanks for that advise I'll re-think the way I'm setting the corals.
Beautiful tank !!!
That FTS with a PnS camera is just great.

I think I will baste (if nothing else) several times a week in perpetuity just as a habit. My personal opinion is that it is good, in general, for the corals allowing detritus and other crapola to not settle into the corals.

I agree Bryan.

When I was regulary basting the tank, I was also being more active in the observation of the tank. The basting was just a side benefit of me participating in more routine work on the tank. I do have more frags though :)

Agreed, that is also a big benefit. Thankfully I conned Rich into taking a bunch of frags yesterday and freed up some room in my prop tank. Rearranging can be painful that way.

Back