High Tide Aquatics

Seminolecpa's 180G upgrade

That is true, I do notice the purple pvc primer has a nice glow to it combined with the "look my teeth are bleached and I'm in a blacklight" glow of the pvc :D

You will definitely need a lot of help getting that beast up the stairs. My 156g Oceanic is 5x2x2 with 1/2inch glass around and it was heavy already. Count me in if you need people.

The looks of the plumbing behind the tank doesn't matter, as long as it does it job and doesn't leak it's all good ;D

Pricey but effective is using spaflex in your plumbing endeavor.

It can be a little unwieldy, and certainly pricey but there would be less unions and connectors to run.

Any idea what the weight of the tank will be ? I might be able to bring one of my carpenters to help . We can also build a strecher to throw it on , it makes it easier to lift .

[quote author=Raddogz link=topic=5363.msg66630#msg66630 date=1228158179]

It can be a little unwieldy, and certainly pricey but there would be less unions and connectors to run.
[/quote]

It helps reduce the vibration also..

: ) _ I saw this at Max's, I forgot to tell you about it. Wow busy weekend for you - new clam book and now new tank. Have fun.

[quote author=Elite link=topic=5363.msg66632#msg66632 date=1228159358]
[quote author=Raddogz link=topic=5363.msg66630#msg66630 date=1228158179]

[/quote]

It helps reduce the vibration also..
[/quote]

A few pieces spliced in at strategic points can eliminate noise, and get you around obstacles.

Maybe it is the way I have connected it before but I have never had anything but problems with spa flex as far as leaking and gurgling.

I actually remember seeing this tank running, it was for sale from someone in San Mateo a few years back. I remember I didn't like it because it had a stand that was way to short for it. Glad you are getting a new made for it.

Depending on how you plan to set up your rock work, I would probably plug the middle holes.

Ok so here are some more demo renderings of the hood and tank.

BryansTankV2.jpg

BryansTankV2-2.jpg

BryansTankV2-6.jpg

BryansTankV2-1.jpg

BryansTankV2-3.jpg

BryansTankV2-5.jpg

hoodlightingsetup.jpg

Alright the project has officially kicked off. Started breaking out the wallet for some purchases:

Purchases 2 luminarc minis

On the way 2 400W Icecap ballasts
2 more 4" Icecap fans
2 400W Radium Bulbs

Still trying to decide whether to go with 4 staggered 4 foot T-5 bulbs or 4 5 foot t-5 bulbs. I am going to extend the hood out a bit so that I can fit 4 vs. 3. Thinking I am going to go with HO vs. VHO on the ballasts but will definately go with Icecap reflectors. Not sure if I like the way they do the 5 foot reflectors as they aren't a single piece.

Also still trying to decide if I go with a barracuda or a hammerhead for the closed loop connected to the OM 4 way. Think at least initially I am going to just stick with the Mag 18 and my existing plumbing for the return.

Drop off the deposit for the tank on Sat and then we will be moving forard full bore with the stand and hood.

Forgot to mention if anyone is looking for 250W ballasts. I will have 3 for sale soon pretty much brand new Icecap ballsats for $100 each and probably some 250W radium bulbs as well. Will probably have them avail at the end of the month.

Decided to go that extra bit and go with the 400watters eh?

My idea of 5 foot T5s... your tank is 5 feet, most likely you're not going to have corals right up against the glass, even if you do they most likely will still get illuminated, plus at 80watts they make for a funny combo as far as finding a ballast unless you go the IceCap660 route.

That is what I am thinking with the 5 footers too the split reflectors kind of bug me too. I figure if I stagger 4 footers I can get the same coverage and since I am likely only to use them for supplements shouldn't be that big of a deal. Not sure I want to overdrive the bulbs since I am going with 2 400W halides anyway. Figured 2 250W bulbs wouldn't be enough with a 180G tank considering I am using that now on my 72 (though I am going with a much better reflector)

Still need to think about a price. Will list them sepreately in the BST forum. They won't be available until after the new tank is up and going.

Back