Jestersix

Seminolecpa's 180G upgrade

[quote author=Apon link=topic=5363.msg66670#msg66670 date=1228174444]
I actually remember seeing this tank running, it was for sale from someone in San Mateo a few years back. I remember I didn't like it because it had a stand that was way to short for it. Glad you are getting a new made for it.

Depending on how you plan to set up your rock work, I would probably plug the middle holes.
[/quote]

36" is too short for you? It was Greg65's old tank, a few years ago it was in Oakly. I don't think it ever was in San Mateo. I've had it since then.

Your talking about the cube at Max's, that was Ben's in San Mateo. It's also been living with me since :) And that stand was SUPER short.

[quote author=Elite link=topic=5363.msg66559#msg66559 date=1228107890]
I don't think the 1" wavysea/seaswirl output pipe will fit into the holes on the brace. Can Max help you drill it bigger?
[/quote]

The holes in the euro-brace? I highly suggest not enlarging those.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=5363.msg66612#msg66612 date=1228154339]
1 1/2" thick? Guess no vortechs on the backwall then.

I wonder if they didn't make it that thick because they were planning on a closed loop literally hanging off the back, I can see the need due to the stress that would be applied in a "sloppy" situation, but geeze 1.5 inches? That's going a bit overkill, especially considering those overflows should provide some strength as well as bracing.

[/quote]

The rear wall was made that thick as they took a 1" piece, laminated a piece of grey acrylic and then the 1/2". IIRC Greg wanted to make sure the tank was solid since it's a large euro braced tank. It was plumbed into his garage. There was no equipment in the house or under the stand.

Moving that tank is a huge under taking. Since there is no trim and it's glass, it's slippery like a 1 ton fish! I used a flat bed truck with a lift gate when I picked it up and our Sprinter to move it to Max's. I'm just glad I'm not moving it again :) (sorry)

We are gonna use my dump bed trailer . Just push the button and it will all come sliding out onto the driveway ;D

This thing looks like it weighs 400 lbs . Is that about right ?

I'm guessing 600 (bit more) as well. It sucks moving it but once in place it's not moving :lol:

estimate time:

The tank looks to be about 4900 in3
Starphire has a density of 2.5 g/cm3 http://www.pgo.com/pdf/ppg_starphire.pdf

4,900 in3 = 80,297cm3
tank weighs 200,740g or 443lbs
factor in another 10% for eurobracing and overflow, and you are looking at about 500lbs

5' long x 2' deep by 27" high
1/2" sides & front
1.5" back
1" bottom

Go to work! :D

I just hope someone will have those straps to hold it, I really would trust my finger strength in holding that much.

Back