Cali Kid Corals

Setting Up 400 Gallon Tank

I am going to start this thread to discuss and share my current project. I am setting up a 400 gallon fish tank with 160 gallon sump divided into 5 chambers.

The configuration of the sump is still developing, however, it is almost clear that i will set them as below:

1st chamber: Drain Chamber -->carbon socks, rocks.
2nd chamber: Protein Skimmer
3rd chamber: Refugium
4th chamber: Return Chamber-->Aqua Ultraviolet UV sterilizer, Deltec calcium reactor, GFO reactor, Carbon Reactor.
5th chamber: Top-off water Chamber.

I have decided to get 2 4ft 8 bulbs T5 light fixtures, after considering the pros and cons of MH. Most likely l will buy Tek Light.

Guys, your opinions and suggestions are deeply appreciated.

That's a lot of water! Let's see.............80 gallons to change every 4 weeks.......hmmm. Lot's of sea water mixing, any ideas about streamlining that operation? I use a dedicated 50 gal mixing drum and mix enough for about 3 water changes at one time. When I do my changes, I siphon off the bottom of the tank and refill in the top using a transfusion method and maintaining the water level in the tank when I do it. Just thinking out loud.
Do you have a current tank? Tell us a little bit about your past reef keeping. Sounds like quite an interesting project.

Yep, those water changes can be a pain. Automating it is a really good idea!
There are many levels of automation.
At the very least, set it up so you have permanent switched pumps on mixing, draining, and filling.
Lugging 80 gallons in 5 gallon buckets is not a good idea.
Also: Use auto-top-off on your RODI, so it stops when your barrel is full.

If the sump is 160 gallons, and you only do a 80 gallon water change, you can drain then refill,
so transfusion method is not really needed. Slight downside to that transfusion method is that
you can end up draining what you just added.

--

Don't under estimate evaporation as well.
First, make sure to have a really good ATO, with a big reservoir.
Second, think about where all that moisture goes in your house. Venting to outside can
be critical, or your drywall can end up as moldy mush.

Agree with Mark's comments. I'm running a much smaller volume but having the water change station is very nice. If I may recommend you might want to look at a poly storage tank or something similar that holds more water than the amount of water required for the salt mix you use. That way you can mix it all at once. So get a 200G reservoir for a 160G salt bucket, etc... Since you're handling bigger volumes of water if might make more sense. I personally don't have any issues with mixing and holding bigger volumes for a period of 4-6 wks. Plus if the shit hits the fan you have a ton of water ready to go.

I do like many, have everything within hose distance of each other (my RO supply, tank, sink and mixed tank are within about 10 feel of each other. I do keep an air stone in the mixed tank to help prevent precipitation of solids as well as a heater keeping it around 75 deg F. My guess is that less than 3% or my newly mixed water actually gets drained out in the transfusion process. My point of entry and exit are at opposite ends and depth of the tank. I do use a potable water rated container just to be sure about contamination and it does have a nice fitting lid and access ports on top.

Good luck, sounds like a great project with lots of potential for nice, big colonies of coral!

The 5th chamber at the sump will be used to store top-off water. I am buying Tunze ATO system to control the level of water . The top off water at the 5th chamber will pump to the return chamber.

Here is one question for you guys: I just installed one RO system at my kitchen, the RO system will fill up the 5 gallon barrel automatically. Will it work if i connect the RO system to the 5th chamber instead of the 5 gallon barrel, as the piping can be a few feet vs few inches? If this work, can i add a second pipeline to another resavoir where i could prepare the sea water?

I am still debating if i should get 2 40/50 gallon tanks or 1 90 gallon tank to prepare the sea water.

I am setting the tank of in my garage, therefore the water will be disposed to the sink, just like my washer.

hermesfansf said:
The 5th chamber at the sump will be used to store top-off water. I am buying Tunze ATO system to control the level of water . The top off water at the 5th chamber will pump to the return chamber.

Here is one question for you guys: I just installed one RO system at my kitchen, the RO system will fill up the 5 gallon barrel automatically. Will it work if i connect the RO system to the 5th chamber instead of the 5 gallon barrel, as the piping can be a few feet vs few inches? If this work, can i add a second pipeline to another resavoir where i could prepare the sea water?

I am still debating if i should get 2 40/50 gallon tanks or 1 90 gallon tank to prepare the sea water.

I am setting the tank of in my garage, therefore the water will be disposed to the sink, just like my washer.

A few feet of drip tubing will be inconsequential when it comes to top off level for a tank like that,
and will actually give the controls a bit of hysteresis.
BUT: There is a danger in connecting RODI directly. If that valve every gets stuck on, it constantly adds RODI water.
Best case = flood. Worst case = salinity drops badly.

--

The ATO float valve is in the return chamber though, right?

Hey Mike,
My RO system is a GE Merlin "on demand" system so I only run it when I am using it. I use a booster pump to increase the discharge rate and have the little spigot on about 12 feet of poly tubing. When I'm making 50 gal of salt mix or filling up the 10 gal ATO reservoir, I just do it as I see the levels drop. My ATO only needs refilling about once a week.

JAR said:

Here's my favorite :)

potwat-749644.JPG

http://www.governmentauctions.org/labels/400%20gallon%20water%20tank.asp

Back