sfboarders first tank 100 gallon

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by sfboarders, Sep 20, 2009.

1. sfboarders

sfboarders Guest

Thanks Patrick. $16 Black Friday deal at Aquatic Collection. :)

2. sfboarders

sfboarders Guest

Well change of plans on how I was going to hang the MH's. I was originally going to hand the fixture with bent EMT tubing and I bought all the hardware and borrowed a tube bender from Mario but decided not too because my wife said she didn't want the lights to look like a buffet line. So I ended up building a canopy to sit on top of my canopy. :) I did this because my stand is a 1 piece and I didn't want to cut the old canopy in the house and didn't really want to alter the stand in case when I sell it in the future.

Canopy is made out of 3/4" birch hardwood plywood and held together using pocket screws (so fast and ez to use :)). Door swings using a piano hinge and inside will be painted primer white and outside stained to match current stand.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/canopy1.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/canopy2.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/canopy3.jpg

3. r0ck0

r0ck0 Guest

A buffet of frags sounds good. mmm acro skewers

4. sfboarders

sfboarders Guest

Company shut down this week so I had time to finally put the canopy and MH together. Also some pics of new fish I purchased from Aquatic Collection. :)

I also have the airking fan blowing straight across (pointed up in the pics because I removed the screen and it made it go up). The reflectors stay pretty cool. Is this correct or am I suppose to point it at the water?

Royal Gramma
    [​IMG]

Mystery Wrasse
    [​IMG]

6x54 T5's (old setup)
    [​IMG]

(2) 250W MH on Lumatek 250/400W ballasts in HQI mode
    [​IMG]

RB 50/50's and Blue LED's on
    [​IMG]

RB Blue LED's on
    [​IMG]

5. damn that is looking nice !!!!!!!!!

6. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

Those Reefbrite's are sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet !

7. yardartist

yardartist Guest

Clean add on! When is the next City tank on tour?

8. gimmito

gimmito Supporting Member

Looking good John...how are you liking the Radium 20k's ?

9. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

Cool DIY mod on the canopy part !!
    You extended it for the MH reflectors hu?
    TWO thumbs up

10. sfboarders

sfboarders Guest

Thanks Mario! I had too. That was the only option for me so my lights wouldn't look like the "buffet line" according to my wife. :D I still have the tubing I bent which I'll probably use for the frag tank light.

11. sfboarders

sfboarders Guest

Thanks Jim! Radiums are cool. Don't seem as bright as my T5's but I'm sure they have more punch. I think my center brace might be blocking a lil light though. A lot more bluer compared to the bulbs I had before. The blue is rather nice and I'm not using any RB's when the MH's are on.

Stop by if you wanna check it out. I know you're planning on going with the same setup. You're close by. :D

12. Reef Keeper

Reef Keeper Supporting Member

Very nice workmanship inside and outside the display. Beautiful. :glasses:

13. sfboarders

sfboarders Guest

Thanks Joel!

Some more pics. I finally used the top down box. It's been sitting in the closet for awhile. Ian gave me some tips on how to take some photos. Also I visited Matt at Ultimate and bought a CBB. This guy was swimming around and eating mysis. I'm hoping he'll eat the aiptasia and the food I feed him. Hoping he'll last awhile.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/eu1.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1801.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1804.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1810.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1814.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1815.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1829.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1830.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1832.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1835.JPG

14. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

Nice!

You worried about your CBB nipping on the Zoa's?

15. yellojello

yellojello Supporting Member

Lookin real good!

16. mavjoy

mavjoy Guest

Nice stuff John!

17. Joost_

Joost_ Guest

Nice tank!
    Where in SF are you? I recently moved so I'm like 5 min from ocean beach now, lots of surfers.