Kessil

SFSU's (Fishnfst's) 180g temporary tank.

So yesterday I was taking some shots of my tank for this guy back in England who photographed my tank with Ian some time back, long story... ask Ian if you're curious, well he had the mind set you HAD to use a flash I told him the flash completely washed out all the colors, well he sent me back the pictures... and yeah it washed out the colors, so I took a few pics to send back just to give him an idea of the colors he's missing and that you don't NEED a flash... well I noticed one particular shot which was similar to what I had taken about two months ago (in my attempt to photograph the fish in my tank)... well strangely enough it seems to have turned into a growth shot!

A few things that immediately come to mind (other than the movement of stuff on the bottom) are pretty much the entire right side of the rock, the idaho grape (hurray *sarcasm) grew quite a bit, the tenuis above it is quite a bit more chunky, the green bugger and millepora have quite a few more mini branches along the top, the micropthalma is growing in it's typical weed like fashion, and right near the gorgonian is some acro that went from puddle to spikes o death.

That looks great Mike.. Definitely growing in nicely :)

Ian told me the story. I was like dude I wouldn't let someone into my house . hahahaha I guess he is a pretty well known guy Doctor..

Hahaha yeah, Ian seemed a bit insistent that I go with him since I haven't seen his new setup... guess he just wanted to make sure he didn't get raped or something :D

Wow, nice tank Mike.
I agree that flash basically wash out the color of the corals. Did you turn off your powerhead when you took those shots?

Do you have close-up of the red acan? Also, does your sunset-monti grow fast?

I don't turn off powerheads when I take pictures, I figure if there's some blurriness due to polyps whipping around then so be it.

I'm assuming this is the red acan in question? A top and side view, it's in a rather difficult place to photograph at the moment, which is why the pictures are kind of ho-hum.
redacansidege5.jpg

redacantopnk7.jpg

My sunset monti does not grow very fast, I'm unsure if it's location, because all the encrusting montis on that rock are kind of slow growers, where as on another rock a pokerstar/rainbow (non-lineage) monti grows like crazy.

Ok, since I think it's part of the BAR by-laws that if you say anything in your tank thread you need eye candy... here's some other top shots I took the other day (mostly to show that it is possible to take non-flash shots without terribly much blurriness)

Nothing new with the tank, however I took a few pictures for the other forum and remembered having some older pictures of the same coral (different tank but hey it's still the same coral) so you know what that means?!?

GROWTH SHOTS!!!!!

Here's Norm's infamous red prostrata

May 01, 2007 - Not looking too red, but then again the picture is a bit blurry, please use for size comparison only :D
20070501tg4.jpg

September, 2008 - (Although I'm guessing earlier than that since that was simply the "last modified" date) I was getting fancy with my top down shots, not terribly red, but there is some slight red there and green. Also note I was going through some seriously bad tank mojo between these two dates.
acronormprostrataln5.jpg

Today - New tank, completely revamped lighting scheme, awesome-O flow going, now it looks like a red prostrata, and yeah it's pretty bad ass! Rock is getting all coral cramped so you see more coral than you do rock
p1240001gt2.jpg

Alright here's a shot that was taken of the tank back in November ... notice anything glaring in it? Yeah that's a big honking scratch, its not a "ooh a piece of sand got caught between my mag-cleaner" scratch, but a "lets pull this tank out between these two sharp pointy metal objects..." (no offense Doug :D). But seriously you could easily feel the scratch with a finger nail it was wide enough to get a finger nail in, and you can even feel where the acrylic "bent up" (the shavings if you will)
nov2008hg6.jpg

Yesterday when I should have been grading papers, I decided to do a little test... some 400, 800, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500, Novus 3 and Novus 2 later... Not even a distortion in the acrylic! *insert proud smiley here*
Ignore that smudge on the left, it's from the magnetic cleaner pad, not a scratch.
feb2008fc9.jpg

Bonus you get a growth sequence of about 3 months :D

Just took some pictures and wanted to test out the attach feature of the new site, which I never particularly liked due to not being able to have comments attached to the picture attachment.

We'll start with a pretty little stylophora, a coral I never particularly liked, the g/f is the one who liked the bushy ones the most, however after doing some exploring in Maui and seeing these things all over the place they kind of grew on me.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/Stylo-2009-0401.jpg

Ok that wasn't too painful to do, resizes them for the board, and if you want a larger size you can always click the image... now lets test the ordering it posts them...

Got the Monti rock... and yeah I got stupid and put what was almost a single coralite, of some ORA coral I got at the top... needless to say Acro > Monti. We have Norm's Superman, BAR Green Undata, Tyree Sunset, Jeremy's Fireengine.

2nd picture (if this posted in the right order), is a close up of the BAR undata, it got quite bleached out after my heater mishap but it sprung back into attention and seems to grow fairly well.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/GreenUndata-2009-0401.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/LeftRockTop-2009-0401.jpg

Back