got ethical husbandry?

SFSU's (Fishnfst's) 180g temporary tank.

Alright now for a couple others that hold sentimental value..

First up some Zoas I won at the frozen reef talk down in San Jose... ok its not terribly sentimental but I won like half the raffle prizes that day so it was a good day. Originally I saw two colors most were orangish/pink, and a couple were green, recently those purple SOBs popped out of no where!

Next is my red blastos.. side shot, this was my first DBTC offering way back when it started... which everyone promptly killed and the chain died :D

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/Blastos-2009-0401.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/Zoas-2009-0401.jpg

Next up some acany goodness.

All of these are at one point "BAR corals".
The first one, was an "orange crush" (not the original) from one of the frag swaps (there was a thread I'll need to dig up and post this too as well), the lower one was from one of the BAR frag workshops when there was that big Tongan shipment, when saying anything against Eddie or Tropical Paradise was blasphemy in the club. One of these days I'm going to try to find a way to frag this guy if people want the history behind... (i.e. club lineage :D).

Second one is another BAR acan, not the flashy colors most people want to see pop, but it has some subdued tones that I rather like.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/Acans-2009-0401.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/Acans2-2009-0401.jpg

Finally for the chalice lovers amongst us.

First one is a random chalice that again doesn't have any super bright markings or anything, but hell it grows well! :D

Second is one of the BAR chalices (I believe), pink/red sucker with a black(ish) skirt, I'll call it the Goth Girl Chalice!!.. ok maybe only if it had dark rings around the mouths/eyes :D

Finally is the last frag swaps Chalice, the color faded a bit on the body but the eyes are just ooooooh... DEMON EYE CHALICE!!!! Although upon closer inspection in has that look that a crocodile has when its eyes are just above the water ready to snap!

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/BARChalice-2009-0401.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/BGChalice-2009-0401.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/PinkChalice-2009-0401.jpg

Ok I was taking a picture and I noticed my slimer is going to exist everywhere in my tank. The Acropora yongei(??) is IMO probably one of the fastest growing Acropora corals out there, the Acropora micropthalma being a close second. Well when this coral was in my other tank (pre break) the colony grew almost entirely sideways, one mother honking long branch that was horizontal... ok whatever it liked the light I guess (and no it wasn't growing in the direction of flow). Eventually tank issues happened, lost a lot of it to red poofy algae etc, well I managed to frag a tip of it and glued it to a little acrylic ledge I superglued to the back of the tank, also saved a couple other pieces that were kind of halfassed placed on the bottom of the tank (basically I didn't care about them).

Fast forward to moving stuff to the new tank, well the piece on the ledge was encrusted a bit, and the other pieces I didn't just want to throw them out (and no frag tank to grow/give away), so I just glued all of them onto the ledge and rested it in the back half of the tank away from all the valuable real estate.

Ok so it decides it likes it there apparently, it's grown like gangbusters (ok I'm not old enough to use that term...) it's grown like mad crazy yo! It seems every place it touches it wants to encrust, luckily the majority of that is on my acan lord rock which I'm fairly sure will make short work of it should it get too close for comfort, but once again it's going with super long branches just growing like crazy. The part coming towards the front of the tank (down in the photo) even seemed to bend around the rock (this may be flow related).

Either way, I'd estimate this is at least 1 foot long in each direction, there's a couple of fish (not babies) side shot to give some perspective on the size of it. Oh that poker star is growing mad crazy yo too on the rock right above it (side shot).

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/P4060142.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/Slimer-Top-2009-0406_0.jpg

Took some pictures today, so thought I'd share.

Acropora millepora edition.

First is a Palmer's blue mille, which looks a bit more purple than blue, it's a tad faded since an Acropora micropthalma has been growing out of control and shading everything under it (which is a lot) the upside is most things will kill it on contact, the bad is that it grows faster than it can die... either way I made a frag of the micropthalma (about the size of my outstretched hand) so now there's direct lighting on it!

Second is a red mille, courtesy of Sergio (check DBTC), it suffered the same fate as the above mille, you can tell in the picture which part was shaded.

Last is a pink tip/red mille, a bleeding bubble gum mille! (Actually there is no name, or hell probably is, but who cares, the color is what it is).

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/P5280214.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/P5280215.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/P5280229.JPG

It's been a long time since I updated... well ok here's two corals I painstakingly grew out from very small nubs

This was a random "Acro" from a frag swap
acror.jpg

And Karl's candlelight that I've had to fight tooth and nail to keep alive, it'd get suffocated by something and saved one little tip of a branch relocate.. it grows out... only to be suffocated by another... I think it's ok here though, it only has a coral to one side of it
karlskandle.jpg

I just noticed absolutely no FTS photos in this thread, I guess they were all lost when the forum software changed over or something *shrug*... well that'll teach me to not keep my photos all in one basket :D

Anyways here's a current FTS with most all the fish in it... and a lot of brown gunk around the bottom that needs to desperately get scraped away :D
fts18020090824.jpg

Also earlier in the month I added these guys to the tank, there's only 2 regardless of pictures :D

Who says you need a flash to get fish pictures! :D
67257621.jpg

frontnih.jpg

32455116.jpg

That's what I was thinking, looks like some of the "Pink lemonade" type variants that were coming out when that one acro was going particular hot. I think this was in one of Wayland's acro packs that had a few acros packed with chaeto.

Ok, massive picture dump coming (however if you're reading this too late pictures are coming :)).

This is my no-frags-allowed* colony-only** edition picture dump.
* there may be frags in the pictures but they aren't the focus
** colony really is subjective, so if you don't think these are colony (or at least mini-colony) sized then piss off :p

Blue polyp, green cap, with Pink Jade candle in the top
pa140236.jpg

One of my first LPS, strangely was a freebe piece, the other brain (which I paid for) got picked at to death by my coral beauty angel, never touched this one.
pa140240.jpg

Brown always grows so fast in my tank, but at least the tips are blue!
pa140241.jpg

Acropora-Rockapora!
pa140244.jpg

Tyree Bali Tricolor
pa140245.jpg

The infamous Phoenix cap! :D
pa140246.jpg

Poofiness
pa140247.jpg

Its umm red and pink and acropora like
pa140252.jpg

Coral that for most of its life grew on a the bottom of my tank, eventually graduated to rockstar level!
pa140254.jpg

Pink/red millipora
pa140255.jpg

Something about range of colors that compliment?
pa140257.jpg

Lepastrea rock, the goal is to see this whole rock covered with these three guys and take the shape of the rock
pa140259.jpg

Palmers blue millipora which never photographs very blue, grew from DBTC piece that was literally a tiny branch sized frag
pa140261.jpg

Now here's colors that blend, nuclear green with a dark moody blue.
pa140264.jpg

Thanks man.

FTS... that will require me to clean the front! But I'll see what I can do later this week.

Yeah I had that one really beefy branch looking coral and I remembering how these suckers oozed onto the acrylic bottom in the old tank I decided to see if I can make them ooze into a shape which they seem to be doing quite nicely. Maybe even break off the original pieces toss them into DBTC (although good luck giving them away) or a future frag swap so there's no lumps even :D

I forget are running a reactor on the tank or 2 part? Turn off the skimmer for a week and so if anything changes : )

Yes be envious of my browns! BROWN IS A COLOR!!! :D

2-part Arnold.. why should I turn my skimmer off? I have a massive fish load in the 180, there are 6 fish in it !!

does your skimmer collect anything? save power - reduce sound... like my tank. : ) Actually I am curious if your colors will change with more nutrients. I can't seem to find anyone else running skimmerless tank to compare against. I have over 24 fish in the 120 : )

Back