Cali Kid Corals

SFSU's (Fishnfst's) 180g temporary tank.

Yes my skimmer does collect, it's not dark murky stuff, but it's got some funk smell to it.

Also how often do you change your water? If anything I'm a little lackadaisical with that.

Thanks Doug, still kicking around I see? Need the tank back anytime soon? :)

Here's the FTS, three of them in fact, of different lighting schemes I go through. My coraline scraper has been worn down to a round surface so I couldn't get any side shots.

Actinic only, 2x 54w UVl Super Actinic T5s
pa180235.jpg

Actinic & Blue, Prior + 2x 54 ATi Blue Plus T5s
pa180240.jpg

All lights on, Prior + 250w MH 20000K "$20 eBay" bulbs (left), 250w MH 14000k Phoenix bulb (right, in need of replacement)
pa180246.jpg

Yeah there are 3 vortechs in there, although I'm getting the feeling it's not enough. However money is a bit tight now, unless I find someone selling one used or some Tunze streams used (for used prices too) don't really see a flow upgrade soon (not quite sure I want to go the Koralia/Modded maxijet route yet)

You kidding me! Are they mp40's?
If so that's 9600 gph at max power.
turning over180 gallons 53 times an hour!
Your fish can probably bench press 200 times their own weight :D

Yeah, I know what the numbers say, I know what the turnover of the max flow is, however I run them off a long pulse mode, 2 on 1 "off", then 2 "off" 1 on, so I'm get only about half of that flow in reality. That being said that's pretty much how this tank started, when most of my corals were smaller frags (or non-existent), go ahead and look at the top of page 4 for a picture when the tank was set up.

The point in reefing where I worry is coming close, when the corals might significantly cut the flow to certain parts of the tank just due to their size.

I used to do that, however the long pulse gave me (not sure if it's doing it anymore) 2 quasi-gyres, when the center one fired the flow went directly down the center "canyon" and back against the walls, then when the flow reversed so did the pattern where it went towards the back down the center. I might end up changing back to the reefcrest though, although I do like the long pulse because the polyps can really get whipped around but then they get a breather.

Vortec's are the bestest!
I like reef crest myself. I have one on each end of my 215.
Every once in a while I run em full blast in "all on " mode.
Kicks up the dust a little.

Alright minor update. My peristaltic pump went funky on me, for whatever reason everything was moving except water through the pump, I have a feeling some kalk got clogged in it or something, taking the thing apart and putting it back together however seemed to have fixed it. Needless to say my alkalinity dropped like a rock, should have picked this up earlier when I noticed my pH a bit on the low side, calcium also dropped too which is good I guess. Alk 3-4dKh, Calcium 360ppm, strangely enough however these are pretty well balanced, they're just low, so luckily I can bring them up no problem.

Quite a bit of algae on the back half of the tank, I understand from the detrtius spots that have no flow, but I can't understand why on the rocks when everything back there is blue T5s. Although I was rebuilding the lighting hood and my lighting has been kind of iffy for about 2 weeks before it all went back on, so maybe between the alkalinity dropping, the dead spots, the lights, I had a perfect storm of conditions which allowed this crap to grow!

Either way I'll keep a better eye on things and water change is coming up... that said I couldn't resist taking some pictures, just ignore the algae.

This is a mostly LPS shot of my tank because those are what are at the back (where I was looking at all the algae and devising a siphoning strategy)

First up the Acan lords!
This one is for Jason because he asked about it at the meeting as it always seems to pop up on the BAR webpage (old one?)
acan1.jpg

First aussie acan I got, DBTC FTW!
acan2.jpg

Neat orange looking bugger, and that fricken Green slimer is such a damn camera hog (and it's growing like crazy in the back)
acan3.jpg

This one I like because I like these odd, "ghastly" looking acans more so than the super colorful ones
acan4.jpg

Here's a rock with a few favias on it, my underroos has bleached out a bit, I think that has something to do with the calcium & alk levels however.
favia.jpg

A couple of SPS now because they were easily shootable from the back.

This I had to get I noticed it last night, my poker star is definitely beating out my montipora spongodes (I think this is a frag from the ones the NY reefers sent over). Hopefully the spongie can grow fast enough, definitely not going to have a fused coral hybrid here poker star is definitely stronger.
montivsmonti.jpg

Ian's Efflo, just because it's cool, and yeah the slimer is in the picture again, you can't really see it in the picture but the slimer also has a branch growing under the efflo, it hit the bottom and the top of the coral literally flattened out, so my table now has a leg :D
efflo.jpg

Alright back to the LPS

This is the "ox blood" chalice I won at the Dec raffle, and note the much cleaner bottom of the tank, plenty of flow going on here :D
oxblood.jpg

This was my favorite chalice because it looks cool and mean girly, however a bit of tissue recession that I haven't put my finger on yet, for some reason I suspect a fish might be nibbling on it.
chaliceu.jpg

This one I got ages ago, never had any eyes that I could see, unless it has ninja eyes, but it is by far the fastest growing chalice that I have. I guess if I wanted to frag it I simply cut off a piece of the rim?
bluechalice.jpg

And here is one of the first DBTC items I tossed in, which promptly died in everyone's tanks (thanks guys!!!) luckily for me they've repopulated the rock like gangbusters... Might try to re-offer some to keep my thread alive (if it hasn't been deleted)
blastos.jpg

Nice acan Mike, thanks for sharing. :)

I like your little favia collection. Especially the gold eye one and the purple/green one. Very unique.

Thanks Jason,

The gold eye one is the baby's breath, got that from DBTC, however EVERY time I frag it (basically what I had was twice this size) one half would turn into a skeleton over a day or two this was the 3rd time I've fragged it too!, so I think I'm going to wait until it's grown out a bit more over the rock then try to take a few polyps from the edge rather than take my chance that I'd lose both halves. Strangely enough the one still on the plug is what died I half expected this half to die if anything

The green & purple is the Kong's eye... also DBTC, that frag survived, I was waiting for the half to grow a bit more then I can split that and throw it back in... or I could simply toss in a larger frag back into the mix, actually forgot about that frag actually for the meeting.

Oh well I have a day of siphoning the rocks and bottom of the tank today :D

Ok more random pictures! Actinic only, I finally put a reflector on my front actinic light and holy christ it made a world of difference on the tank, there's no purple glare in your face plus quite a bit of the light is reflected into the tank.

Start out with a full tank shot as is custom after long times between updates, oooh and ahhh at the ultra rare green tang!
ftsv.jpg

Nice little pink millepora with yellow tips, yellow doesn't really show up well in the picture, but for those who got this coral from me at the swap here's the colony
pinkmille.jpg

Norm's infamous prostrada, flanked by Tyree's tri-color and a few other weedy acros.
prosta.jpg

Pink Lemonade I got at the last members-only swap, this actually grows quite fast
pinklemonade.jpg

A few of these went into the swap as well, if the plana was bigger I would have put more in.
acros.jpg

The primary I didn't even look at the SPS tables, too many acros!
toomanyacros.jpg

Finally this trachyphyllia(??) it looks nice and rosy, and really doesn't even need actinics to make it look nice, feeding it is fun too.
trachyphyllia.jpg

Back