High Tide Aquatics

SFSU's (Fishnfst's) 180g temporary tank.

Cool Arnold, I looked for them after a few rounds but they were all gone. At least I know where one is if anything happens

Lapsan, thanks, yeah when I set this tank up way back when that was my goal to keep an open rock structure, which is a bit harder to see now since its covered in corals, but those two structures are actually quite far apart. Unfortunately the progression is impossible to see, but that's what I get for trusting the BAR website with my photos by saving them in each message rather than externally *grumble*

Mike if you log in you can still get to you pictures here.
http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=5057.0

Ian, sweet! I thought they might be on the "old board" but I thought the old board was permanently shut down. This weekend I'll browse through and snatch everything and try to reinsert them.

Bryan, you still got room in that big tank? :D

Eric, you still got room in that tiny tank? :D

mi tanque es tu tanque

You can always find room. I did clear out a ton of room in my frag tank from the swap. I actually was finally able to remove the frag rack in my main tank :).

Frag tank? You mean that's not something you just throw up right before the swap and take down right after? :D

Anyways scrolling through past photos, when I should be grading papers, I saw one of my favorite corals in the tank.

It's red, and actually really red, not a brown that's faded out and with a ton of actinic it might look a little red.
It grows fairly fast (see growth)
It tables, not so much a flat efflo type of table, but more like a sea of branches that pop right up.
It was given to me by a fellow member who created the coral in his chemistry basement

Mr Ugly's red Prostrada - 1 year growth

~ January 28, 2009 - Originally gotten back in 2007, I think Norman actually gave this to me on the first SF Tank tour, I could be mistaken when he gave it to me. But this is the first GOOD colored up version... before it was a faded out brown coral ;)
p1240001gt2.jpg

~ October 15, 2009 - Here we see it's stretching out in one particular direction, there's a Vortech ~ 1-1.5 feet from it that's blowing right across the top, I think it likey! The tort in the lower right corner got moved/traded (maybe Rich's tank... I forget which one I gave him), either way good thing I moved it, not only did the prostrada move down the rock, but the Tyree Tricolor also decided to encrust
pa140244.jpg

~ February 18, 2010 - Picture I just snapped, and this thing is a beast! The other tort doesn't stand a chance, in fact it's encrusting onto the dead parts, I really should have fragged that for the swap, but I like the contrast, here's hoping it doesn't grow vertical too much, because that will be one bad ass look to see a sea of red with blue towers poking up. Tyree Tricolor decided to do so more growing. And the nasty cap in the background, well I had some alk issues, it bleached out quite a bit, and the tips are nice clean growth coming back... although I regularly just whack it with my snippers to break off hunks that get tossed into the sump as future frag plugs :D
normsprostradafeb182010.jpg

I'm curious to what this is going to look like in another year. My goal was to have a nice TOTM full looking tank, but if I have to scale back on corals just because this is shadowing a ton, then I'll be happy with that. I've seen tanks where there was a few huge tables and that looks cool too :D

Does the RP table like this though? Some pictures I've seen have really long branches, where as this one doesn't get too long before it has a branch explosion and they meld into a flat piece.

Or it could be they RP is really the same type of coral, and ORA just is a lovely money making machine with their naming for the masses and their story about how they got this corals decades ago from a Bavarian watchmaker :D

Mine sure as heck does. Dustin at ORA posted a pic of the mother colony on RC on page 6 post 139 of this thread. If you look at some on say page 3 as well from other reefers you will see the hom much it actually tables.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1579687&highlight=red+planet&page=5

Ah groovy... that ORA one doesn't look half bad, although I don't get why the "out of the tank" picture at the end. Moving it to the chopping blocks perhaps?

Either way, I had this one before ORA started releasing the red planet, so I can say it is not the ORA red planet, but may be a similar coral.

Well it's been about 6 months since my last FTS (with regular lights) I might soon be switching part of it over to LED, so I'd like to photograph this in case I kill stuff off :D

in before Bryan's mentioning of cleaning the glass
ftsapr202010.jpg

Back