Jestersix

Share a Current Picture of Your Tank

Hopefully we will make some headway this year, but at the moment here is the 105g:
IMG_2412.jpg

and the 22g frag tank:
IMG_2413.jpg

So all those pictures of nice tanks... and I am going to ruin it.

Mine is in the middle of a total restart, due to Majanos/other pests, so looks terrible.
But thought I should be fair and include it, plus might make some other people feel better.
IMG_3077.jpg

So all those pictures of nice tanks... and I am going to ruin it.

Mine is in the middle of a total restart, due to Majanos/other pests, so looks terrible.
But thought I should be fair and include it, plus might make some other people feel better.
View attachment 10234

You have nice looking fish!

I had a ton of majanos in my tank too. I watched a youtube video from melevsreef about it and decided to get working on it. I started with one area of the tank first. I took a bunch of live rock out, used a flat head screw driver and hammer to chip away under the foot of the majanos. I also used bone cutters when possible. After about 5 sessions, I only have a few left that I can see. Point that I am trying to make is, majanos can be dealt with but it's best to go after it the first moment you see it. Dont let it get a hold of your tank. Great tanks everyone!

You have nice looking fish!

I had a ton of majanos in my tank too. I watched a youtube video from melevsreef about it and decided to get working on it. I started with one area of the tank first. I took a bunch of live rock out, used a flat head screw driver and hammer to chip away under the foot of the majanos. I also used bone cutters when possible. After about 5 sessions, I only have a few left that I can see. Point that I am trying to make is, majanos can be dealt with but it's best to go after it the first moment you see it. Dont let it get a hold of your tank. Great tanks everyone!

True, fish are nice. Some are getting pretty old also. My Coral Beauty is probably around 13 yrs or so.

+1 on net letting Majanos get ahold of your tank.

I managed to deal with Majanos for years.
But then there was some combo of procrastination plus just the right nutrients, and they hit critical mass.
Population exploded.
Once you have a thousand or so, it is completely hopeless.
In doing my reboot, others have related the same experience.

Quick and dirty tank pic. Tank is ~4 months old. Wish the SPS grew as fast as the coralline, although the table up front is hitting the 5" mark.

2018_08_23_fts.jpg

Still cycling AIO frag tank so the sandbed is still littered.

Quick and dirty tank pic. Tank is ~4 months old. Wish the SPS grew as fast as the coralline, although the table up front is hitting the 5" mark.

2018_08_23_fts.jpg

That is such a cool scape!

2018_08_23_fts.jpg

Holy sheeeet! That's a lot of coralline for four months! How much calcium are you dosing just to keep up with the Corallne growth!

Yeah, I still enjoy the open scape of the tank.

Uproot frag plugs? The plugs are tucked in the sand, which the snails don't uproot. I don't have any nassarius or sand sifting snails, so it's just the hermits and trochus. The trochus aren't capable of uprooting plugs.

80mL/minute of effluent through the CaRx at the moment, Bruce.

Yeah, I still enjoy the open scape of the tank.

Uproot frag plugs? The plugs are tucked in the sand, which the snails don't uproot. I don't have any nassarius or sand sifting snails, so it's just the hermits and trochus. The trochus aren't capable of uprooting plugs.

80mL/minute of effluent through the CaRx at the moment, Bruce.

80ml/min? Sounds like a lot compared to what I got going on. What pH are you running in your reactor and do you have a secondary chamber?

Reactor running at 6.5-6.7 with secondary reactor. I'm using Neptune media, which is producing ~14 dKH effluent. Gonna burn through all that reactor first and then switch over to Reborn which produces a higher dKH effluent.

Reactor running at 6.5-6.7 with secondary reactor. I'm using Neptune media, which is producing ~14 dKH effluent. Gonna burn through all that reactor first and then switch over to Reborn which produces a higher dKH effluent.

Gotcha. I don't know exactly what my effluent alk level is registering. I just know it's over the 20 dkh that Hanna Checker can test for.

Using ReBorn media in both my Vertex and Geo reactors both with secondary chambers. pH at 6.7.

My effluent rate is 9.5ml/min for 60 gallons and 11.9 ml/min for 90 gallons.

For a fully stocked sps 100 gallon tank, how much dkh and calc is dropping a day. I'm would like to calculate my monthly future cost.

thanks

For a fully stocked sps 100 gallon tank, how much dkh and calc is dropping a day. I'm would like to calculate my monthly future cost.

thanks

As far as dosing goes in my 100 gall all SPS tank I was dosing about 140ml a day of calc and alk. That is probably the high end for most 100 gal tanks, but it's why most people switch to a Ca Reactor at the size. I was all set to make the switch over when I chose to try the Triton method instead.

Back