Jestersix

Shooting through 1 Acrylic

Anyone have any tips on trying to shoot thru 1" thick acrylic? One of the downsides to my tank is that I can't seem to get a decent shot thru the front pane, even when I'm perfectly perpendicular to it, and even with manual focus. The minute I go even a few degrees off axis to the acrylic, the distortion is pretty horrible. Top down shots with a lens box are about the only thing that turn out well. Anyways, just seeing if someone figured out something that I hadn't thought of, I figure it's the nature of the acrylic.

Shooting with a Canon 5D and 100 f2.8 macro

Thanks!
Perry

Possibly. Got any shot that we can look at with intact exif info?

I've shot through 1" acrylic before w/out any issues.

I've shot through 8" or whatever the big tank at the Monterey Aquarium is without too much trouble. Not sure what is causing trouble for you though :(

If you're perfectly perpendicular, you shouldn't have a problem.

Also look into glare issues, like if there's a glare coming out.

If you get REALLY close, any slight angle will distort more than that same angle pulled a bit further away. Maybe with the macro you're getting really close.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies! Hey Art - you bring up a good point which I didn't realize earlier, but I think is the issue. I pretty much use only the 100mm macro when I shoot the tank cause its' such a great lens, esp on FF, but it does mean that when I shoot, I'm usually 1-2 inches away from the front pane. So I tried using a regular zoom lens, and I did notice alot less distortion/focus issues since I was farther back from the front pane. But now I can't get those nice 1:1 or 1:2 frame filling polyp shots!

Thanks
Perry

[quote author=vapormd link=topic=3945.msg47133#msg47133 date=1214373400]
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies! Hey Art - you bring up a good point which I didn't realize earlier, but I think is the issue. I pretty much use only the 100mm macro when I shoot the tank cause its' such a great lens, esp on FF, but it does mean that when I shoot, I'm usually 1-2 inches away from the front pane. So I tried using a regular zoom lens, and I did notice alot less distortion/focus issues since I was farther back from the front pane. But now I can't get those nice 1:1 or 1:2 frame filling polyp shots!

Thanks
Perry
[/quote]

Hey Perry, Yes definitely when you get real close you'll have a few problems. If you try as much as possible to keep completely perpendicular, it would be ok, but that's only in the most ideal of situations.

Also look into 180mm macros, I think Canon may have one, this will allow you to be further away from the subject for a 1:1. Further away = more shake, so even more need for a tripod =)

Back