Short but multiple photoperiod

Discussion in 'Other Reef Talk' started by gabloo, Mar 24, 2017.

1. gabloo

gabloo Guest

Hello Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone of you tried multiple of short photoperiod throughout the day. In freshwater, some people would only turn on light for 4 – 5 hours twice a day. They claim that it would reduce the chances of algae growing in their tank. I had tried that method and I had a decent success. So, I am wondering what would happen if I do something similar in reef tank. Will there be any negative effect to coral, clam or shrimp?

My plan is to have 2 x 5 hours of photo period.

11:00 am blue

11:30 am blue + white

3:30 pm blue

4:00 pm light off

7:30 pm blue

8:00 pm blue + white

12:00 am blue

12:30 am light off

2. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Sounds like a good idea, but a bad thing to do imo

iCon likes this.
  3. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

That concept a "siesta" has floated around for a while but I think all evidences are more anecdotal. It varies depending on type of algae.

Reed tank algae control is easier imo. Just keep your nutrient in check + herbivore + CUC

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  4. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Funny: I ran my Algae scrubber that way, to increase algae production.
    Not kidding.

5. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

In one of the BRS investigates videos, Ryan mentioned that Ecotech (I think) has been running tests and finding that a longer photo period with less par is equivalent to a shorter photo period with more intense par. I don't think they've tried multiple photo periods though.

6. gabloo

gabloo Guest

Thanks for advice and input everyone. I will stick with regular lighting schedule. It was just a thought.