got ethical husbandry?

Shrimp ID

I ordered a grab bag of anemone shrimps awhile back, and most of what showed up were more or less like this guy, Periclimenes brevicarpalis or similar:
Periclimenes_brevicarpalis.jpg

I dropped them all into a nem-dominated tank, and the purple shrimps found their way to the nems over the next few hours, all was well, except that one of the shrimps was different - red spots, and totally different body shape. He wanted _nothing_ to do with the anemones, and didn't even like to settle on the rocks. He swam around the tank and would follow my finger if I poked the glass. After he nearly hopped out onto the desk twice in an hour (uncovered nano, didn't expect nem shrimps to be a flight risk) I figured if he had any chance it would be in the DT, with all the other weird hungry creatures in there. He's done really well, and if possible some day I'd like to find a handful more to add to the display.

He's been impossible to photograph so far, but today I found a photo! What the heck is this guy!?
002021000045.jpg

Oh, some more digging says, likely: Urocaridella antonbruunii ... seems they're cleaner shrimps, and available to aquarists in japan, but not a lot of info in English.

I used to import them from Cebu, PI. Delicate lil buggers.

Delicate how? He survived being shipped, acclimated into two different tanks in one day, and has been doing fine in a tank stuffed full of sticky anemones and meanish fish. So far. It's only been 3-4 weeks. :)

treylane said:
Delicate how? He survived being shipped, acclimated into two different tanks in one day, and has been doing fine in a tank stuffed full of sticky anemones and meanish fish. So far. It's only been 3-4 weeks. :)

Yes some survive (like some wrasses and cardinals survive) and obviously yours did, but that does not change the fact they are sensitive shippers. We would loss half to just DOA, not even DAA :)

Back