Reef nutrition

Shutter has a 100,000 actuation life

G

OK, so once you reach 100K can you get a replacement? Does it just stop at 100K or does the error rate hit at that point?

I shoot a ton of pictures....I have like 30K for work alone :( Did I just really use a third of my camera's lifetime for work related stuff?

I was told my d80 has approx 100,000 actuation life.. I'm not sure what happens after that is gone.. :( I know you can have the shutter replaced by nikon for about 1/3 the cost of a new body.... Eric was the one who told me that so maybe he could elaborate....

The actuation life is an arbitrary estimate of when the part is expected to fail. It could go to 110k, 120k, 150k before it goes dead.

When it does go, it's really up to you to decide what to do with it. You can send it back to Nikon or Canon and have it replaced or scrap it for a new camera altogether. For something like the D70, the price for a new shutter is something like $250 and climbs all the way to around $500 for the D2X.

I'd expect the D200 shutter to be around the 350 or so price range if you were to replace it. For that price, I'd take a look at the D300 replacement. Maybe RN would be willing to fork over the money for it if you're shooting 30k actuations for them a year?

I had no idea I shot that much for them. I'm asking for a 1/3 of the cost of my camera and for them to purchase a new one.

Good idea, especially if they expect you to do so long term.

I'm keeping an eye out for the university budget to see if I can eek out a camera at the end of the fiscal year myself. :p

It's either that or they pay a professional a LOT more then I cost to produce the photos :D

[quote author=iani link=topic=4406.msg53763#msg53763 date=1219791286]
And I have a d200 for sale Gresh, whichever you prefer.
[/quote]

Hey dude stop thread jacking :) I was here first.... hahahahahah

I have a D80 so if I where to get a new one I'd upgrade to at least a D200

But is it better then your D200? Think hard before answering, you don't want to chase a possible sale away :) You can lie to me, I don't have time to research it right now :lol:

To me a camera is just a camera; a tool. The fact that a new camera came out doesn't mean that it's better than what I currently own. I'm still able to do what I was doing before. What a new camera can do however is open up new possibilities (I can shooter quicker, longer, easier, etc.). This is the primary reason why I haven't gone beyond the D2X/D200 combo (looking to seeing what the D3X looks like).

As for D200 vs. D90, it's gonna depend on what you're interested in.

Even though the D90 has the same sensor as the D300, it does not have the same focusing motor as the D300; it has the same focusing motor as the D200. So autofocusing wise, it's not gonna matter which one you go with. Also, the D200 is faster with bursting still vs. the D90. Where the D90 will perform better is in the areas of noise. The other area where no other Nikon DSLR will even compete in is the ability to shoot a movie (to a limited extent; first gen product - no autofocus ability while doing so....). The D90 also uses SD cards instead of CF. Memory cards are pretty cheap nowadays, so it isn't really an issue other than the inconvenience of selling/purchasing cards.

As to whether it is better than my D200, I can say that will be in the levels of noise and the movie mode. Other than that, the D200 will be better. It's also gonna depend on when you need the camera. If you need it now, then the D200/D300/D80 are your current options; if you can wait until say November/December, then the D90 is another viable candidate. Upgrading from a D80 to a D90 will not be as significant as upgrading from the D80 to the D200 IMO (unless the production model does more than what's stated on papers).

The SD card factor is something that concerns me as I have several hundred $$$ in SD all ready and like one meager lil CF from years back.

really cheap is a relative term. IMO my ultra III 4 gigs aren't all that cheap being I have around $500 in them. To me that isn't chump change. I just got them in the last year, they really haven't dropped all that much since I got them :)

Hahaha, if you put it that way then yeah.

But, 4gb SDs are 21 after rebate now.
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SDSD4GE3

4gb CFs are only 29 after rebate
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SDCFX3004

8gb CFs are only 49 after rebate
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SDCFX3008

Just trying to sell my camera, lol.

You know......I always fail on those mail in rebates :lol:

good deals though, bout to order some more :p

Don't want to deal w/rebates...check the prices here for these cards.

http://tinyurl.com/5ke5ke

I've been using the 16GB versions of those cards for a couple of years so far. No issues with them and they're actually faster than the Sandisk Ultra 2 cards that I have.

Back