High Tide Aquatics

Sick Clownfish?

I was looking at my female clownfish a few minutes ago and she was lying in the anemone. She seems to be breathing heavily. She's very drowsy looking and swims slowly. Is she sick? What do those symptoms sound like?

She's dieing and she looks like she's in pain. I was told to put them in a bag and put it in the freezer to slowly slow their heart rate down and put them to sleep... is that the best option? She's lying in the back on the tank on some rocks barely breathing. :|

I guess she could just be old. I thought they were around 2 years guessing from age but she could have been old. I looked at Joyce Wilkerson's book in the disease section and it didn't seem to match any of the diseases.

Euphyllia said:
She's dieing and she looks like she's in pain. I was told to put them in a bag and put it in the freezer to slowly slow their heart rate down and put them to sleep... is that the best option? She's lying in the back on the tank on some rocks barely breathing. :|

You did do a quick ammonia and nitrite test, no?

And yes, I've always used the freezer method to euthanize(sp?) my fish.

My condolences. It's bad enough to lose an animal you're in charge of...but even worse to see it suffering. :((

-Gregory

She's lying on her side on the sand, still breathing. Should I get her out and use the freezer method? Just want to double check before I do so. :(
No ammonia or nitrites. The rest of the fish are fine as well as the corals.

When I went to get the net and get her out she got up and started swimming for a bit. Maybe it's a sign...
My mom keeps thinking that she's "egg locked" because that is what happened with my favorite guppy and then it exploded... :(

Clowns are TOUGH! Are the rest of your fish alright? While it's possible that she's egg-bound or has some other random problem, it's maybe more likely that there's a problem with water quality. If you've got a buddy with a thriving tank who's willing to drop her in the fuge for a few days, it's worth a shot rather than hitting the freezer. I've seen fish that were all but dead bounce back quickly in the right conditions.

I don't have anyone that I know with a salt water tank other than the BAR members. I guess I could ask around on BAR if anyone is willing. I'm just afraid she won't make it another day.

How long has the fish had these issues? I ask cuz your 1st post was at like 11 AM and you said you just noticed it and 40 mins later you were talking about killing her................

Well it looked like she was going to die very soon and it looks the same way now... the fish has had the issues since this morning I guess.

Back