Neptune Aquatics

simple problem, simple solution

Well, hopefully there is a simple solution :p
I have a bunch of frags in my 15g tank, all of which are mounted on frag disks. Some of the frag disks are beginning to grow algae on them. The algae is filamentous and light green - light brown in coloration. How do I get rid of this algae? I am sure my frags don't like being surrounded by this algae! :-

Funny thing though - this algae only grows on the outtake of my skimmer, and on a couple frag disks. Any idea why this would occur?

[quote author=Elite link=topic=5103.msg62787#msg62787 date=1226026292]
algae can grow anywhere...
[/quote]

I am aware of this. Algae has no boundaries!
I was just pondering why it may only grow in these two places in particular :)

Let me know if you find out the answer cause I want to know why coraline like to grow on the glass instead of my rock also LOL ;D ..

If you give it enough time, I think it will spread to other area.. It has to start somewhere..

I actually find coralline to behave similarly in my tank :)
I do get growth on my rocks, bit it seems to grow much quicker on my glass!

[quote author=Elite link=topic=5103.msg62791#msg62791 date=1226027056]
Let me know if you find out the answer cause I want to know why coraline like to grow on the glass instead of my rock also LOL ;D ..

If you give it enough time, I think it will spread to other area.. It has to start somewhere..
[/quote]

lol phong, mine is doing that too!!! haha

coralline really likes plastic, when I was working with abalone it was found that they needed coralline in order to progress beyond the veliger stage and settle (makes sense they need to work on a shell ASAP). At UCSB Dr. Morse was working with different substances to grow coralline on for abalone recruitment, he found that acrylic, and HDPE/LDPE would grow coralline faster than any other media, a lot faster than rock :D

Back