Reef nutrition

Skimmer Choice: Aquamaxx v. Reef Octopus

Thinking about a new skimmer for my +/- 35 gallon system. I really like the Aquamaxx ConeS and it seems to have incredible reviews, but since it's rated at 175 gallons, it might be too large for my system. The new Reef Octopus looks promising, but no reviews yet...

Anyone have any thoughts?

Aquamaxx ConeS CO-1

AquaMaxx-ConeS-CO-1-In-Sump-Protein-Skimmer-99.jpg

Volume Rating: 175 Gallons
Footprint: 6.3" x 8.7”
Height: 19.7”
Chamber diameter: 5”
Pump (included): Modified Sicce 1.5
Water Flow Rate: 1800 l/Hr
Air Intake: 360 l/Hr
Pump power consumption: 16 watts
Recommended Water Leve: 9.5”

Reef Octopus Space Saver 110:

Reef-Octopus-Classic-110-Space-Saver-Protein-Skimmer-99.jpg

Body Size: 5″
Footprint: 6.1″ x 7.87″
Total Height: 19″
Output Size: 1.25”
Note: Recommended Sump Water Depth: 7”-8"
Aquatrance 1000s Pinwheel Pump
Wattage: 9w
Air Draw: 420 lph / 15 SCFH*
Water Draw: 350 lph / 92 GPH*

Last edited:
Can't speak to these actual skimmer models, but I have a reef octopus and am extremely happy / impressed. I have heard good things about the aquamaxx as well, but have never used them. I can say that I will likely stick with the Reef Octopus brand if / when I ever purchase another skimmer.

Can't speak to these actual skimmer models, but I have a reef octopus and am extremely happy / impressed. I have heard good things about the aquamaxx as well, but have never used them. I can say that I will likely stick with the Reef Octopus brand if / when I ever purchase another skimmer.

Thanks Kris. Yeah, your skimmer probably holds more water than my entire system! Thanks for the input. I'm leaning toward the Reef Octopus (at least this afternoon).

wow i've never seen the space saver model. i'm curious now. i don't think you can ever have too much skimming.

btw i have a reef octopus. after break-in, it's quiet and really feels like a workhorse.

Took advantage of BRS 10% off and ordered the Reef Octopus. I *think* it might fit in my current sump, where as the Aquamaxx was definitely not going to fit. I'll eventually re-build the sump, but getting the new skimmer up and running sooner was a definite plus. It also seemed like it was a better size for my system and the positive reviews on Reef Octopus certainly pushed things over.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I'll post some pics/thoughts in my build thread when the skimmer comes in on Friday!

How're you liking that space saver model???

Any updates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The skimmer is awesome. I just poured out some dark green sludge!

It was pretty easy to assemble (assuming the same holds true for unassembling for for cleaning). The pump is near silent right after plugging it in. Build quality is pretty solid. The bottom of the skimmer cup is molded out of a different plastic and is the bottle neck that directs the foam up into the central riser. The cup/bottleneck just slips into place on the skimmer body and has an "o" ring to seal. For whatever reason, sludge doesn't stick to that material on the bottle neck part so it skims really consistently even if it's been a few days since the last cleaning. The design also makes it pretty easy to clean the cup and bottle neck, but I've only been doing that once a week or so.

It's easy to adjust the skimmer without having to get your hands wet. The only complaint is that the adjustment is a tube that sticks out of the water that you turn to close the outlet. There is just a sticker on it that says "closed", so it's kind of hard to see where it's set and how far you are adjusting it. It would be nice if it had a pointer and some numbers or graphic scale that you could line up.

So far it's been skimming like a champ. In the first week or two it probably pulled out more skim than my previous skimmer did in a month. I noticed more polyp extension from my corals after just a few weeks.

Back