1. The 2014 BAR Members Only Frag Swap is today!

Become a member in order to participate in today's swap!
  2. Hey Bay Area Reefers!

Please excuse the mess as we're currently sorting out some technical issues with our new home page as it has thrown off our website URLs a bit.

Thank you for your patience!

Your Webmin

Skimmer Raiser Option

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Jeff Rehling, Dec 8, 2018 at 4:27 PM.

1. Jeff Rehling

Jeff Rehling Supporting Member

2. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman BOD

Sure. I've used them or large frag discs, plastic containers, PVC, egg crate, etc.

3. Jeff Rehling

i was planning on adding this to my sump anyway, and the skimmer section is high flow, so it made sense.

4. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

Marine pure crumbles pretty easily, I personally wouldn't use it as a stand. If you want a diy option, you can grab a piece of 1/2" acrylic from the scrap bin that is roughly the correct size at Tap Plastics for $1 and they sell 1/4", 1/2" and 1" acrylic cubes you can use for feet. Stack cubes as needed. Use Weldon 4 or 16 to put together. Shouldn't cost you more than $10.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018 at 11:13 AM
  5. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Used a plate to raise my vertex 150 skimmer on the 47G. Did well, but it does tend to crumble. By the time that I moved it over to the 87G, one corner of the plate had sheared off.

6. Jeff Rehling

i made an egg crate stand and think I'll just continue to use that. put the block in the 'fuge

7. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

That's what I use actually. My "temporary sump" has a skimmer in a plastic bin. The bin sits on top of a lump of marine pure, the skimmer sits inside of it. The skimmer is actually again raised inside the bin, but what I did is I took some 1" PVC pipe that I had laying around, then cut it and glued them side by side like a raft.

You can also buy 3 or 4 inch (or whatever) PVC pipe for pretty cheap, and cut it to the height you want, then glue 4 of them together like 4 pillars and put the skimmer on that. I've done that too. I drilled holes in the colums to prevent stagnant water, but I don't think that's particularly necessary.

I've also used scrap acrylic to make a bench for a skimmer.

8. Jeff Rehling

My 150 comes today. my sump compartment is 10" high (although trigger says 9"). What is the ideal height for the Vertex? My skimmer stand is about 1 1/4 inches high

9. Jeff Rehling

that looks much better than my PVC/egg crate stand. The weight of the skimmer holds it down?

10. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

It's heavy enough to sink. I don't recall it floating up when I've cleaned my skimmer.

11. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

~8"-8.5" is the ideal height for the Vertex Omega 150 when I ran mine.