Cali Kid Corals

Skimmers. Cone or Cylindrical

i just picked up the xp2000 and lovin it. its quiet and producing a lot of skim mate. i had reservations at first on the pump but its quiet and working.

I'm not quite sold on the cone shape making a skimmer better. Maybe there's something there that the entire skimmer basically becomes one riser tube which makes it better or something but I just don't know. There are so many different variables that can make a skimmer pull more effectively that its hard to point to the cone and say that's it.

Gomer said:
is there a good writeup showing why/how cone skimmers are beater than non cones?

Hehe, good question Tony, short answer no. It has to do with turbulence IIRC and the cone can handle more LPM of air in a smaller package due to the lack of turbulence that occurs with a bell housing where there is a radical reduction in diameter. Does it work? I dunno, my old Euro-Reef does a great job and as we all know it's more about husbandry :)

I just picked up the new SWC 160 cone wont be able to test it out till after my tank cycles and gets going but hte build quality is great and its so easy to take everything apart

I also just ordered a swc160 on Thursday. I was looking at the super reef octopus sro-1000 and the bubble magus. The sro1000 was not available for a month.

Gomer said:
is there a good writeup showing why/how cone skimmers are beater than non cones?

I've kinda remained quite on this front. IMO they aren't and pretty much a fad. Having said that, I own a K2 cone :lol:

i saw this groupbuy over at R2R for the SWC cone skimmers ...

i was initially set on an XP-2000 cone...

but i found a great deal on a K2 skimmer, that is what I have for my 120g + 55g sump... tank is cycling now with Chromie's swimmin' around, and I'm new to reefin', so can't tell you how it performs.

tuberider said:
Hehe, good question Tony, short answer no. It has to do with turbulence IIRC and the cone can handle more LPM of air in a smaller package due to the lack of turbulence that occurs with a bell housing where there is a radical reduction in diameter. Does it work? I dunno, my old Euro-Reef does a great job and as we all know it's more about husbandry :)

The odd thing Jeremy, is that I'd imaging turbulence would go UP in a reduced cone...I'd actually think you would want an inverted cone! ...of course, that wouldn' be as pretty.

Skimmer can and will only remove so much no matter how many cool features they have. I am still amazed from the fine bubbles that my ATB produces over my old H&S. I can not say that is because of the "cone" but more because of the increase in pump and the cool bubble plates and I'm biased :D

mpoletti said:
Skimmer can and will only remove so much no matter how many cool features they have. I am still amazed from the fine bubbles that my ATB produces over my old H&S. I can not say that is because of the "cone" but more because of the increase in pump and the cool bubble plates and I'm biased :D

This is intrigues me since I'm currently running a H&S A110-F2000 on ~40g of system volume.

Did you go w/a similar rating skimmer for both?

I think that the pump is by far the most important part of the skimmer. Having owned probably 8 skimmers in the past three years, I've stopped worrying about absolute efficiency/brute air pull and instead focus on reliability, convenience, build quality and noise level.

GreshamH said:
orientalexpress said:
it's all about the pumps and bubble plate.

lapsan

Another gimmick.

Oops I didn't see the PUMP part :lol:

Like you and Jason, I think the pump is by far the biggest factor in a skimmer I look for. I don't want my skimmer sounding like a jet engine.

GreshamH said:
GreshamH said:
orientalexpress said:
it's all about the pumps and bubble plate.

lapsan

Another gimmick.

Oops I didn't see the PUMP part :lol:

Like you and Jason, I think the pump is by far the biggest factor in a skimmer I look for. I don't want my skimmer sounding like a jet engine.
and customer service.Victor gone far and beyond and That go a long way.:)

LapSan

Back