High Tide Aquatics

Skimmers

kc

2 things,
1. I am new to Bar, so please bare with me.
a. My wife and I currently are baby sitting a 90 gal Oceanic Bow reef tank. We installed twin 400w mogal halides over a year ago and the tank has gone bonkers at far as growth is concerned. We had twin 250's before for over 5 years and thought we were doing quite well. Not even in the same league.
2. Anyway, since we have kicked up the light supply our coral has become very happy and outgrown the tank. So I went ahead and moved up to a 175 gal Oceanic bow and am in the business of slowly setting it up. I haven't even brought it home yet.
a. The next thing on my list is the purchase of a new skimmer to put in the new sump/refugium below. And I am all ears. With budget in mind but wanting to get as much scum as I can out I'd like some input from those of you who know what the right answer is.
b. After that we will need around 175 #'s on live rock and a 50/50 batch of 260#'s of sand. Live/dry. I am planning on a DSB of at least 3 to 4 in with a plenum below the sand bed.

Thanks for any advise,
Kelly and Pat

Sounds like you're off to a good start :)

Skimmer technology is ever evolving, it seems like a new one comes out every week. Reef Octopus skimmers are a real good bang for the buck, look into one that has the bubble blaster pump, they do a great job.

Back