Cali Kid Corals

Snowflake Eel Suitability

Recently I adopted a snowflake moray eel from @FeliciaLynn and all seemed well. Unfortunately in the weeks since original introduction I have been losing fish. Initially my eldest clownfish who was already ancient but more recently a hogfish and a tomini tank. From what I have read before acquiring the eel and from what Felicia also believed that my 92G tank was more than large enough for the ~30cm eel. The fish were also believed to all have been of sufficient size to not have been threatened by the eel. I am worrying though that the loss of these fish since the introduction of the eel is not a coincidence. The remaining fish seem somewhat stressed by the eel but that could just be adjustment to the loss of the other tank mates.

Have others found snowflakes to be good citizens or troublemakers? Should I make plans to rehome the eel ASAP before losing the rest of the fish?

Mine has always been a good citizen, hasn't eaten any fish. Does snap at them during feeding time, blind as a bat and cant see his food

When I got my zebra Moray eel, I focused my reading mostly on it, but the snowflake is also a Moray eel so some of their traits overlap. I always read that moray eels have teeth that are made for grinding not fangs that could catch and hold fish with. As such they don't go after fish.

zebras and snowflakes are both typically invert eaters, and have more molar like teeth than hooked fangs, yes. I have gotten bit by mine and it didnt even hurt a bit, just felt like, uhh a binder clip pinching you kind of but less painful? im not really sure how to describe, but definatly no fangs

Have others found snowflakes to be good citizens or troublemakers? Should I make plans to rehome the eel ASAP before losing the rest of the fish?
I have had a few juvenile snowflake morays. I have had them eat hermit crabs, peppermint shrimp and strike for fish. I presumed that it was only a matter of time before a successful strike. Henceforth, I have only kept them in predator tanks where the only free-swimming inhabitants were live food items.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The remaining fish are showing signs of stress.
@Kensington Reefer suggested that the eel's nocturnal prowlings are preventing the others from resting and this makes sense.

I don't see any alternative but to rehome this eel. If anyone has a suitable tank and is interested I would be happy to transport him to you. He's a really cool fish but not compatible with my tank inhabitants.

Back