Jestersix

Snowflake Morey

Kmooresf

Supporting Member
Hi there.

Was sitting on the couch after work (I work late) and noticed the Eel doing it's nightly routine. Finally remembered to take a quick video.

This is a great Eel. I have had it about 7 years. Really enjoyed it. He doesn't bother the fish and he LOVES his cleaner shrimp. They ride around on him all day. I am going to have to get rid of it with the new tank because I would really like to keep some SPS. He is a bit big and clunky for that I think. I am pretty bummed though.

It's gonna be another 2 or three months before I am ready to give him up, however I would LOVE to get him to a good home as opposed to a lfs. IMO this is one of the more beautiful Snowflakes I have seen. Great markings and not too fat. I am careful not to overfeed as I am NOT a fan of the 18" long and 9" around ones I see at the LFS that people have taken back. They will eat ALL day if you let em. LOL! My tank is 30" tall, so I estimate his length at about 25-27" I suppose. I have about a 3-4" sandbed in that corner, cause he likes to keep his cave clean. ;) Hope you enjoy the video. One of the best things about getting home late from work is watching this "dance." He can do this for 30 or 40 minutes some times. I find it relaxing. I hand feed with tongs as I have a few large brittle stars that often steal the food before he finds it. You can actually HAND feed him if you don't mind getting bit. :O I put on some diving gloves at times and hand feed. He will wrap around your hand and wait for more.

Let me know if you have any interest in aquiring him.

We had an eel in my Dad's tank when I was a kid. Hand fed as well and never got bit. I actually don't know what species it was but brownish/greenish, bought as a tiny little guy and over 5 or 6 yrs grew up to say close to 24". Not obese either, but I remember feeding it cubes of prime reef among other things. Took the tank down when I went to college and sold the eel.

Are you opposed to keeping it because of waste, or just because it's a bull in a china shop?

It's a bull in a china shop Dave.

HOWEVER..............I am having the WORST luck this week. First I lost my anemones for being an IDIOT and this morning I came down to find the Eel on the floor. 7 years and NOW he jumps out??

I picked him up thinking he was dead, but he moved a little. So I filled a bucket with tank water and put him in it. Within a minute or so he was breathing again. About 5 minutes he started swimming around. I don't have a QT tank, so against my best judgement I put him back in the tank. I have the next few days off, so I will keep an eye on him. The cleaners jumped on him immediately and were pulling off some goo that had formed around his skin. Not sure if he will make it, but I'll keep ya posted.

Sorry for the horrible timeing on the post. Hopefully he pulls through.

So a quick update.

Eel was not looking good for several days after he jumped out. Thought more than once I would be pulling him out soon.

HOWEVER............this morning I found the Eel actually moving shells and junk out of his cave. This is a common sight however NOT recently. He has been more active during feeding but hasn't been able to eat. He seems completely blind in his left eye and its a bit cloudy. However can still see out of his right eye and has ALWAY'S had horrible eyesight.

When feeding he seemed scared by the food and didn't seem to be able to smell it. Until tonight. He came out to feed like he used to and was able to see and smell the food. Finding it on his own after feeding him the first couple pieces. I am very happy and excited to see him starting to act like he used to. Can't believe he might actually survive. ;)

Happy Holiday's.

Nothing quite like a heart-warming story, and just in time for the holidays! Glad you were able to nurse your beloved moray back to health.

LOL! Thanks Jar, I actually decided if he lives, I will keep him. At least for a little while. I am sure he will dig the new tank!

Thank you too David. Eel looks great today...........getting back to his old self. ;)

Look who came out to see what I was doin in the tank!

He is almost back to his normal self. Eating VERY well and much more active day and night. Only concern at the moment is a cloudy left eye. I think he was laying on it when he had fallen out. He can definately see out of the good one, not sure if he can see out of the other yet. Looks like he is gonna make it and I couldn't be happier. Gonna keep him in the new tank for awhile and see how he does with the corals. He may live in the Fuge eventually, but it's gonna be a BIG fuge, so should be fine. ;)
IMG_1631.jpg

Back