Kessil

So bummed out. Lost almost everything....

With even the chaeto dying, the symptoms appear to be similar to running a cracked/broken lamp, but your system has LED lighting, correct?

I would look around your to make sure something such as a nudibranch or sea cucumber hitchhiked into your tank is being stressed out, therefore releasing toxins into the water. You should feed the individual duncan heads mysis shrimp or some other meaty food more often since it seems to have lost all of its zoxanthellate.

Well as they say... it's always the last place you look. In this case the last thing I'd suspect but I guess I learned my lesson. Months ago my heater broke (wouldn't run unless I jiggled the power cord where it enters the heater body). I replaced it with a slightly higher wattage Jager (same brand). Apparently these things need to be calibrated - the little red thing needs to be moved around to indicate what the temperature is once it's been running.

Unbeknownst to me, around the same my little Coralife thermometer had gone haywire... When I was first calibrating the temperature marker on my replacement Jager I kept having to adjust it but I never suspected that the thermometer I was using for reference was so far off and getting worse over time. This evening I finally got a second thermometer and checked- the tank was 90. My old thermometer is still reading 77 degrees.

Feel so stupid and depressed looking at two plates of dried coral skeletons... my babies. :(

Welcome back. I just read what happened to your tank previously. Hopefully you have a few thermometers in place to give you different readings in case if one of them failed.

I might take you up on that JAR, once I make sure my parameters are all good to go. I had a flat piece of your blue stag from one of the swaps (I think something that probably grew up onto your wall and was very excited about seeing it grow, but never got the chance. Whereabouts are you?

I think I also still have a sunset monti from seminolecpa (or someone) that is going strong on my liverock. Also a pink pocillopora from twisted that went from a pinky to a fist-sized colony, still doing well (probably the healthiest coral in the tank).

All's not lost!

Back