got ethical husbandry?

Something ate my Zoas

I put two frags of zoas in the big tank this week. One had lots of really tiny heads with brown and orange eyes but had lots of green hairy algae that I wanted someone to eat. The other piece had beautiful navy blue eyes. Well in two days the plugs got cleaned completely of everything.... algae and zoas. :(( What could have eaten that many heads in such a short period of time. Actually one frag had 4 teeny orange heads left and I promptly popped them out of there and put in one of the small tanks. All 3 tanks have peppermint shrimp, snails, hermit crabs and emerald crabs. The zoas lived in the small tank for months with no issues and were growing/multiplying nicely. The big tank would look nice with some assortment but I am afraid to put anything in there.

hmm I don't know since all 3 tanks have emerald crabs. I didn't see any of the fish picking on them either. The tank where I took them from has a baby foxface and the big tank has several damsels, maroon clown and a wrasses. The foxface had not been keeping the frags clean of the algae so that is when I had the "bright" idea to put them into the big tank.

I'd suspect the emerald crab the most. And it can be very hit and miss as far as which crab will decide to munch on your stuff, and when it decides to do that. They can really chow down when they want to.

Back