got ethical husbandry?

Something I did wrong?

Hi guys,
I'm very upset today, cause I just killed a piece of coral... :(
It was the purple monti from Jar.
Since the plug was fully encrusted, I thought I would split the plug in half and mount it in 2 separate plugs, right?
Wrong.... It died on me :(
One half is ok, but the other one just has the skeleton left. It kept loosing tissue over 2 days and now it's dead. I'm so sad... :((
What did I do wrong?
Maybe I shouldn't have tried that. I'll take it to someone to split it for me next time.
My apologies...

Odd. Did you dip it? FW will do that to montis, hopefully you didn't do a FW dip.

I agree it is odd. I can say I have done way worse then just splitting a plug to montis and had then be fine after (like leave them on the table for a couple of hours by accident. They are pretty hearty for the most part.

I usually do a quick rinse in revive after fragging (a rinse not a dip) just to help prevent infection but it is by no means necessary.

Sometimes with no rhyme or reason, a coral dies when fragged. Remember fragging causes stress to the coral, stress can lead rtn/stn.

Thanks...
It's good to know about the epoxy.
I don't think I used much and I placed the broken plug on the new plug with a sandwich method (super glue - epoxy - super glue)
I broke the old plug with force. Would it be better to cut with a saw?

I just lost a nice superman monti frag.
I moved it to the brighter side of my rack and poof!
Dead.
Who knows?
Anyway, fortunately we can grow more.
The way I frag the purple is that it will outgrow the plug and plate outward.
Then you can just crack off a piece that is not encrusted on the plug.

Back