Cali Kid Corals

Sometime I hate owning clams and coral.....

[quote author=Apon link=topic=3137.msg34444#msg34444 date=1203536387]
yep its at 11...been watching that one for a while.
[/quote]

Clam is very sensitive to alk spike especially on the upper end, thats why I keep mine @ about 7-8 that way I have some wiggle room , when your alk is @11 you don't have any room for a spike, plus you are probably having a faster drip rate to get your alk up there and this will lower your PH too because you are pumping in more co2. So I think you may have a combination of problems, lower PH/ high alk and calcium out of balance. Thats my story and am sticking by it :D :D

I will check all of the above so far its only affecting one clam...the biggest one : (

The guys on RC clam forum say it could be the lights too. The bulbs are a little over 1 year old now. That is why I hate this hobby sometimes. No rest for any of us.

It could be the lights; however I've kept crocea under year and half old t-5 lights, and even my clams in the display tank under the one side of of the 250's is about one year now.

I think Tom is right that it could be the alk swing. If you are also spiking the alk with limewater it can cause alk swings

I check the alk again last night it was at 8 with no dripping that day. If it was the alk swings the I would expect all the clams should show some problems?

Anyways I think I solved it!

I did a small water change last night and at 1:30am I checked for snails again....nothing, but I did happen to see a small white crab in the gills of the clam. It wasn't there when the lights were on, or at least I didn't see it. Its about the same size as a acro crab and it was on the white gills perfectly hidden. I only saw it because it moved when I shined my flash light on it. I know that there are some shrimps that can live in clams, but crabs? What do you guys think? I was able to remove it, but only becuase the clam was worse and didn't close up...not a good sign.

[quote author=Raddogz link=topic=3137.msg34533#msg34533 date=1203616458]
spiking the alk with limewater it can cause alk swings
[/quote]

How does one "spike" ALK with limewater?

Maybe this?

[quote author=Apon link=topic=2409.msg24524#msg24524 date=1190076593]I dose lime water twice a week ( 5 gallons drip in)[/quote]

Limewater doesn't supply much ALK at all and if your counting on it to do so your in a heap of trouble :) You can't spike something if there isn't something in it to cause the spiking. I drip Kalk 24/7/365 and have to add 3 FL OZ of Randy's two part twice a day to keep mine at 9dkh.

Exactly my point. I just wanted to cover my arse just in case it did is some ultra small quantity :D

If I dripped in my pickling Lime in too fast, then it could cause a PH spike, but I still think its the crab. FYI - I have trapped it, but I am not sure the clam will make it.

[quote author=Apon link=topic=3137.msg34580#msg34580 date=1203629010]
If I dripped in my pickling Lime in too fast, then it could cause a PH spike, but I still think its the crab. FYI - I have trapped it, but I am not sure the clam will make it.
[/quote]

Which has nothing to do with an ALK spike ;)

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2002/chemistry.htm

"Alkalinity is defined in different ways for different applications. In the chemistry of natural waters, there are several types of alkalinity that are encountered. Each of these is a measure of how much acid (H+) is required to lower the pH to a specific level."

"Based on the definition of total alkalinity given above, it is clear that anything that absorbs protons when the pH is dropped from normal levels to about 4-5 will be counted toward alkalinity. In seawater there are a variety of things that contribute, and in reef tanks the list is even longer. Equation 3 is the defining equation for total alkalinity in normal seawater.

TA = [HCO3-] + 2[CO3--] + [B(OH)4-] + [OH-] + [Si(OH)3O-] + [MgOH+] + [HPO4--] + 2[PO4---] - [H+]"

Doesn't directly supply carbonate alkalinity, but it does relate to bicarbonate/carbonate formation from absorption of CO2 from air and from metabolizing of organics.

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=3137.msg34612#msg34612 date=1203636279]
Doesn't directly supply carbonate alkalinity, but it does relate to bicarbonate/carbonate formation from absorption of CO2 from air and from metabolizing of organics.
[/quote]

Kalk still won't give a "spike" what [hobbyists know Alk as being. Of course PH relates, but not in terms of this discussion as you can boost your PH to 12 with KALK and it wouldn't reflect in your current total ALK when measured using normal hobbyist methods before or after the dose.

Given this definition of a spike and discounting the PH relation:

8: a momentary sharp increase and fall in electric potential; also : action potential
9: an abrupt sharp increase (as in prices or rates)
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/spike

tell me how adding KALK gives you an ALK SPIKE?

Test you KALK mix which usually has a PH ~12 for it's total ALK. Register any? :D

[quote author=LeviTillie link=topic=3137.msg34613#msg34613 date=1203636335]
All I know is if you stuck a crab in my whole I'd me ticked off too! :p
[/quote]

Ditto :D

You should see a picture my friend took of a Sea hare in his tank. It had a bristle worm exiting out it's #2 hole :( Now that has to hurt!!!!

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=3137.msg34581#msg34581 date=1203629205]
Sounded like a commensal crab, which shouldn't be a problem.[/quote]

For the longest time pea crabs and bivalves was one of the classic examples used when referring to commensalism.

Latest thinking on that is leaning toward parasitism, so maybe it was the crab.

When I was taking marine bio, the prof said that in France, mussels with commensal crabs were considered some kind of special food :D

Back