Kessil

Sometime I hate owning clams and coral.....

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=3137.msg34757#msg34757 date=1203729185]What are the recommended alk/Ca test kits these days? Reasonable accuracy is important to me, so that probably means titration type tests.[/quote]

Salifert for alk, Ca, and Mg titrations. But the availability is a problem right now.

Seachem is good for Ca and Mg, though most people find them a bit more difficult to use than Salifert. Once you do a few, it's not hard at all.

Elos and API are ok for rough results. Though I'm finding that 3 API alk kits I just bought all read high.

In theory, Seachem alk should be good because it distinguishes carbonate alk from borate alk. But in practice, it's hard to read precisely even if you are good at titrations.

So the big names that come up are Salifert, SeaChem, Elos, and API.

Currently I'm using SeaChem for Mg because I can't get Salifert.

I've always used SeaChem Ca.

I like Salifert alk, but it's hard to get, so now I'm using API with my own procedure that gives precise and accurate results.

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=3011.0

Whatever alk test you use, check it against a reference standard. Same like you calibrate your refractometer against a salinity standard.

Pretty technical discussion here. Can you suggest a basic explanation of reef chemistry in regard to two part and kalk?

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=3137.msg34777#msg34777 date=1203737483]
Hehe...

Also was reading earlier today about clam culturing facilities where they get the clams all ready to spawn and then they throw in some macerated clam gonads to make them do their stuff.

Ouch!

:D
[/quote]

LOL, I read that in the clam book I won at the swap raffle! :D

[quote author=patchin link=topic=3137.msg34782#msg34782 date=1203740217]
Pretty technical discussion here. Can you suggest a basic explanation of reef chemistry in regard to two part and kalk?
[/quote]

Started a new thread for you here:

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=3164.new#new

:D

So since this was initially started because of a clam issue :)

What's the thought of clams under MH's. Sooo many people say no way but a lot of people used to say you need MH's for sps's and tons of people myself included are doing it. I'm not ready for another twist to my tank right now so by no means an I shopping for one but I wouldn't mind when I upgrade my tank at some point. I have a baby blue hippo about2-2.5 inches and it'll need a bigger tank or a new home at some point.

And how is the clam coming Arnold? Did I miss the update somewhere?

it died.... : ( alk was at 7 when I tested again....not too bad. No spawning, no sps tips burned. I killed the crab! No temp swings everything else seems ok.

Back