Our mission

SpectraPure Dual Media Reactor

You got them right, Rudy.

Ball valves are cheaper and harder to get fine control over flow. Gate valves are more $$ and easier to fine tune.

Which you use on a reactor manafold has a lot to do with how much money you want to spend and how much of a control freak you are. :)

Most of the parts can be had at any hardware store. Irrigation supply houses are good and usually carry better quality parts. They're also available online -- US Plastics or Bulk Reef Supply, etc.

Most hardware stores have a fitting that works with PVC to soft tubing.
Gate valve is with the wheel, it has more control over adjustments than a ball valve. Most people use ball valves tho.

Thanks for all the great information. Things are adding up now: hardwares, ballvalve, fittings, etc.
Now it makes sense why some brand includes the ball valve connection in the reactor (i.e. vertex reactor in BRS). Has anyone used a vertex reactor (or others) that came with the ball valve and do you like it?

Also, can you share a pic of how your T line is setup for multiple reactor connections? Sorry for all the questions. I'm not handy when it comes to plumbing and my sump space is limited, so it's hard for me to imagine an efficient plumbing design.

You can t off the main plumbing line multiple times, or tee off the flexible line that will feed your reactor. I do this to feed two brs reactors.

IMG_0504.JPG

Mine is located outside of my sump right next to the tank to make it easier to change media. The return line from the reactor is about 3gpm and is visible just below the fan. It is useful for adding a little more flow to dead spots. ;-)

When I replumb I will use a straight T or 45º T rather than a 90º T to avoid loss of head pressure.

Thank you all for the explanations.
Bondolo: thank you for the pic. Is that what you called a Y connector? Never seen that kind of joint before.

OT: My friend gave me 2 unused chemipures (they are about 10 years old). Can I still use them?

Back