Kessil

Speedwave DC pump

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
Got a goodie box in the mail from the UPS guy, and in it was a lovely Speedwave DC pump! If you've read any review on the RLSS Waveline DC pump, well this is the exact same pump... THE EXACT SAME. This isn't a knock off, it's the same thing, different manufacturers simply sell the same thing under a different name. I've also seen another one called the Diablo pump, which is also the same exact thing except for a few of the plastic parts are red instead of black.

While I'm not going to do a complete overview of the pump, there are plenty out there that already have, simply google Waveline DC pump. Advanced Aquarist did a review, I think Reefbuilders did a review (or at least talked about it in some way), BeanAnimal gave his review on it. So no need to go over everything all over again. What I will say is the SpeedWave was $100 cheaper than the Waveline, and at $199 that makes it a very competitive price.

So why go with a DC pump? Well there are a number of factors, first of which it's more energy efficient a comparable AC pump would be the Waterblaster HY-10000 which also puts 2600gph, but runs at 125 watts compared to 85 watts for the DC pump. Also it's controllable, so if I don't want/need 2600gph you can dial it down (in 6 increments, so there's not infinite precession in dialing it in), but you can run it at lower power too for me it was $159 for the 1320gph model or $199 for the 2640gph model... for $40 extra and to let me decide how much flow I want I'll take it! Now you could probably cannibalize the controller and run it externally, however RLSS is releasing the 6000 and 12000 versions which allow you to control via an Apex or something, since they don't make the pump either, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Speedwave version soon too :) Lastly due to the adjustable nature of the pump, it slowly ramps up it doesn't just apply all that power at once and stress the impeller. If you press the feed mode it stops, then 10 minutes later (or if you press feed again) it slowly ramps up to whatever setting you currently had it at, same goes for if you just turn the pump off and on (unplug it). Also this pump is cheap, DC pumps aren't new but they were not cheap at all, I think only the Red Dragon brand has one anywhere near the same ballpark, and that would easily push into the 4 figures range.

The pump itself has a really long cord, and this cord attaches to the controller via a plug that screws together with a water tight seal, so even if you do something stupid (like no drip lines, leave it on the floor, whatever) water isn't getting into the cord at all, and you can keep it far away. The controller then attaches to a big fat brick power supply since it uses DC power. The ports are 1.25" I believe, although I measured 1.5" for the threads.. didn't think the outside diameter would be that big, but it does come with 3 different sized hose barbs too if you want to go the flexible tube route instead of hard threaded tubes. One difference I see between this and the Advanced Aquarist reviewed Waveline model is that there are twice as many barbs for the Waveline, I'm guessing to screw into the input side as well as the output, no big deal for me as I plan on running this pump internally (Hey get a free heater while you're at it! Even though it's only 85watts of heater). I also really like the fact that the controller on this is sealed, so if you have wet dripping fingers you can still press any of the buttons without worrying about killing the electronics in it.

Unfortunately due to the size of the outlet (and me not having any adapters on hand) I can't test out the actual flow vs. what I already have. My current pump is a Rio HF12 (inexpensive and low power), and that has a 3/4" output. I did manage to rig something up with some flexible tube that I use for water changes and one of the barbs, however it's a long stretch of tube, and has 2 90° elbows on the end to hang it into the tank (it was made for water changes not return tubing).. well firing it up, I can say that about power level 2 (out of 6) it equals about the same return strength (judging by how high water gets in the overflow), it also is considerably quieter too. When I cranked it up to 6 I hear a light hum, a little less than a vortech pump makes, but after a bit that went away, not sure how it would compare to Waterblaster pump, the two who had them on the tank tour had them set up so they were pretty damn quiet... Jim mentioned wanting to get a DC pump, so if he wants to hook this up to try it out I'll be more than willing to let him give it a spin :)

Not sure exactly what direction I'm going towards, I believe they make a needlewheel impeller and with the proper volute it could easily replace my Sicce pumps on a skimmer. Using one as a return is almost a no brainer as well. Also using one on a closed loop for Mike's Future Tank 8.4b is a possibility as well. For now, I'll just run it on one of my tanks after either finding a hose barb-PVC adapater or a 1.25" to 3/4" adapter.

Here's some pictures, the box is quite nondescript, doesn't even say what pump it is, on the back it has flow curves for all three pumps. Waveline numbers them 3500,5000,10000 these are labeled after their max GPH rating, I got the SWDC2640 model (equivalent to the Waveline DC-10000). The instruction manual er... page, was also quite lacking, but it's fine if it saves me money :D
p1010129ys.jpg

Crammed everything into it too, one box to rule them all! :D
p1010130l.jpg

It ain't a tiny pump either, I'm sure smaller output ones would be a bit smaller, yogurt cup used for scale.
p1010132o.jpg

Here's the specs on the pump.
p1010131tp.jpg

Very timely post. Thanks for all the detail.
I had been searching on this as well.

I did not know the SpeedWave was the same as the Diablo.
I was suspicious that they might be, but did notice some differences:
* The warranty is different.
* The max GPH is slightly different.
That does not really mean pumps are different of course.
Reeflo does the warranty trick now with the "gold" line. Same pump internally, extra warranty.

I had heard those connectors were not really 1.25" MPT, but some sort of non-tapered socket fitting.
NPT versus NPTF or something. Not really sure.
It would be interesting to try a real female coupler on that.

Mark: Yeah I don't know why the Diablo pumps are different numbers, I look at the controller, the casing, the cords, the cord connectors, the fittings and everything is identical. They have .1 less feet of max head, maybe they actually threw a flow meter on it and got different numbers *shrug*. The warranty is no surprise as the company that buys the pumps are who's backing it more likely than not, or perhaps they paid a little extra to the company who makes the pumps for that warranty *shrug* I did manage to see a picture of the Waveline instruction manual too and damnit if it's not the same exactly sheet too just with their name at the top rather than this company's pump codes.

I'm not sure on the connection parts, I can give it a shot and see once I swing by Lowes or Home Depot and update the thread to see if it leaks or not ;)

Gresh: Aquacave

Jim: If you're curious enough to have my come over and just plug it into your existing system just so you can compare it with what you got I could do that too, I'm in no hurry to start using this pump. This is for my big boy in the "I'm not Jim so there's not going to be 1000 posts before water touches it" club ;)

sfsuphysics said:
Jim: If you're curious enough to have me come over and just plug it into your existing system just so you can compare it with what you got I could do that too, I'm in no hurry to start using this pump. This is for my big boy in the "I'm not Jim, so there's not going to be 1000 posts before water touches it" club ;)

Mike,

You mentioned the threads are 1 1/2" for the pump ? I use 1 1/2" outlet for my setup, so that would work. I've read quite a few reviews on these pumps to feel confident that will be my next pump purchase. Also, you can probably find fittings you are looking for at Urban Farmer.

BTW, that "1000 posts before water touches it" is a pretty exclusive club ! :p

I'm not sure on the actual thread fittings, the online store says 1.25" however a tape shows 1.5", could be the threaded part is measured differently than regular pipe.. either way I'll figure it out when I go to the store maybe tomorrow :D

The pipe size sounds correct.
For 1.25" pipe, it should be 1.66" threads. I just looked it up.
Pipe is measured by internal dimension. Well - sortof. Hence the big size difference.

The concern is the taper, if you plan to use it as an external pump.

Yeah I understand the taper bit.

Luckily I recalled I did have a couple of odd ball 1.25" females lying around. Odd thing is the output it won't even grab onto, always goes on at an odd angle but the provided threaded bits for the hose bibs work fine *shrug*, the input side it screws in fairly deep, not completely though which could be a worry (or I'm not correctly guessing how deep the threads go in the female side). Tomorrow when I have some time I'll see if I I can't hook this up and get water in there to see if it leaks just for kicks and giggles.

That said, this straight from BeanAnimal's page
http://www.beananimal.com/other/waveline-dc5000-variable-speed-dc-pump.aspx
he volute threads appear to be NTP compatible! This means that 1.25" PVC can be directly attached to the DC5000 without having to resport to epoxy or weld-on!

ok, a 1.25" pipe threader and the issue with the output is easily fixed. Granted it sucks that additional work needs to be done, but it's almost like they don't want you to hard plumb it even though it says internal or external.

I don't know if this is quite group buy worth but hey if you can get a discount go for it :D

I am betting that taking a pipe threader to it voids the warranty. :)
But I think the real solution: Wrap some extra teflon tape around the upper part
of the pipe to create an artificial taper, then use liberal amounts of silicone.

Been considering buying a new return for my planned upgrade, but also a new pump for saltwater mixing. Been running a big mag drive (12, 18?) even if I can save like 50 watts that's like $0.40 a day for electricity, adds up fast. Pays for itself in a little over a year.
Been considering soeedwave, waving 12000, and water blaster (10000 I think)

sfsuphysics said:
Or just use spaflex or some other flexible pipe such that you can cram the hose barbs into it for the output :D
True. For some reason I was thinking it only had 1" output hose barb.
I have a short length of hose on the output of my pumps now already. It tends to lower the vibration versus solid PVC.
My return pipes go through the wall, and resonance was an issue.
Plus it allows for flex and easier cleaning.

rygh said:
sfsuphysics said:
Or just use spaflex or some other flexible pipe such that you can cram the hose barbs into it for the output :D
I have a short length of hose on the output of my pumps now already. It tends to lower the vibration versus solid PVC.

I use silicone tubing to reduce vibration... works much better then spaflex. NOT cheap though :D

BAYMAC said:
rygh said:
sfsuphysics said:

I use silicone tubing to reduce vibration... works much better then spaflex. NOT cheap though :D

I use vinyl tubing, which I thought was expensive.
I did a quick search, and that silicon stuff seems to be upwards of $30 per foot for 1.25"
Ouch. :O

Back