Our mission

Sponges

Sponges like tanks without skimmers. In fact, Steve Tyree uses sponges instead of skimmers on his tanks.

I have a few different colored ones (blue, yellow, pink/white, deeper pink, orange). I feed DT a couple of times a week.

Once they have successfully made the transition to your tank and are established, they seem to do pretty well. Most don't like a lot of light. If there is a lot of food, they can grow pretty quickly and you can see changes in them from one day to the next.

Tyree has written a book on them. Here is his site http://www.dynamicecomorphology.com

Best of luck,

Roy

I haven't bought any sponges from Tyree. Though I did buy his sponge book and he was nice enough to sign it for me.

The book identifies lots of sponges (12 pages of color pictures) and discusses his rational and techniques for using them instead of skimmers. On his website, he supposedly has a Video lecture you can buy that covers his techniques.

Since most of the sponges are in the low light section of the tank, and we're still learning how to use the digital camera, we haven't yet come up with a decent picture of the sponges.

Since it is difficult to acclimate the free standing sponges that you sometimes see at an LFS, probably the best way to collect and diversify your collection of sponges is to get them on live rocks from other reefers (or people breaking down their tanks). That's how I recently got the deeper pink one.

I tried to frag my pink/white one a couple of times. I could never get it to work by cutting and attaching it. It seems like the best way would be to set a rock near an existing sponge and hope that a grows on to the rock and then carefully cut it off and try to duplicate the same lighting/flow conditions in the new location. The next time I try it, that's what I'm going to do.

Best of luck,

Roy

Best of luck,

Roy

My sponge hitchhikers are flourishing in my skimmerless softies tank. I never see them, they grow in between rocks, and help keep my water clean.

I fragged black sponges and they grow wild now in my tank...no filter..no skimmer, there is fluorescent pink, yellow and pale green ones, and some fuzzy white stuff

My sponges thrive in my skimmed tank ;) this whole skimmerless idea is pretty bogus IMO if you feed your tank :D I do Phyto-Feast and Roti-Feast daily and my sponge and tunicate growth is insane.

Most LFS bought sponges are going to die IME. They're usually collected roughly and exposed to air during transit.

Hmmm I thought I replied to thise thread already...

anyways I'm with anthony the "hitchhiker" ones are great, I've had populations rise and fall in my overflow box where it's nice an dark and they get first dibs at the nutrient rich waters before going to the skimmer.

sfsuphysics said:
Hmmm I thought I replied to thise thread already...

anyways I'm with anthony the "hitchhiker" ones are great, I've had populations rise and fall in my overflow box where it's nice an dark and they get first dibs at the nutrient rich waters before going to the skimmer.

My overflow box is also where the biggest aiptasia grow... out of my reach and in the nice surface skimmed water ... *sigh* ...

V

I have the hitchhiker variety - black, yellow, and flourescent green.

Vince - Attach a filter sock at the end of the overflow pipe which leads from the tank to the sump. Pull the overflow pipe and the return as well - ummm turn off the pump first). Scrape the aipstasia out and rinse out the overflow area out so it falls into the sock.

aiptasia in your overflow are great! Well as long as they don't make it back into the display. Aiptasia rock as filter feeders.. infact that's why they're so big there.

I actually did try and get rid of them. I broke my overflow standpipe while I was at it. Well, actually, the screen.

Yeah, they make their way back into the display tank via a long travel through the sump system. I seem to have a new crop of them. I thought I clobbered the big ones with Joe's Juice...I think I was wrong! They came back...

I think I'm going to use a turkey baster and blast my overflow aiptasias with kalkpaste...

V

Back