sponsorship guidelines and coordination?

Discussion in 'General Club Business' started by Mr. Ugly, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

This topic came up during the swap planning discussion.

So looks like we have several members who have stepped up to the task of being sponsor liaisons. Seems important to have some basic guidelines as to what is a sponsor, what do they provide, and what do we provide. Would be awkward if each liaison told their vendor different things.

What's been done previously with sponsors? Apparently they get a banner. Anything else? "Commercial announcements" during our swaps saying, "thank you to XYZ for the generous frag donations"? Do they donate a set amount of "stuff" to the club? Is it on a regular basis, or just one time? Do liaisons just go to each vendor and hit them up for "protection money"? :)

As far as frag/colony donations for swaps and raffles, is there a typical amount that vendors contribute? Whatever they feel like? What's the range for donations? More than one frag of brown zoo and less than 20 colonies of LE corals? What do people tell vendors if they're asked, "What would you like me to donate?"?

2. Thales

Thales Past President

So for they have gotten:
    Banner Ad
    Ability to post sales on this forum
    Announcements during swaps, as well as their names mentioned with their raffle items, as well as inclusion of their names in correspondence regarding the event. For instance, the swap announcement will be emailed to the entire club, posted in various forums for different clubs, and posters will go up at LFS.

Each sponsor has chosen the amount they wish to donate, unless we have asked for something specific like the ER skimmer. It would be nice to have one big ticket dry good item for each raffle.
    I think for a banner ad it needs to be on a regular basis, but some have donated just one time.
    The deals have been done on a case by case business.
    When they ask me, I tell them that a sampler pack is a good idea - some coral, gift cirt, and something dry. :D

I have been torn about laying out what a sponsor should give, as they are all different. We have talked about different levels of sponsorship, and it would be nice to work this all out. Until that gets done, a case by case basis seems to work.

3. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Seems like sponsors should get the full blown deal... banners, commercial announcements during events, sales announcements etc.

The ones that donate just to 1 particular event, can their recognition and pass out business cards and info at just that event only?

4. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

If doing banners, would it make sense that donation of XXX amount gives the sponsor YYY months of banner display?

Can we figure out what's our banner ads are worth to a vendor? How much would they have to pay for comparable advertising elsewhere?

5. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Ugh... I got to get to my "real" work. :)