Neptune Aquatics

Starting Up A New Tank

Schmitty

Supporting Member
I recently had to sell my 55 gallon and downsize to a 30 gallon, Im going to start slowly, but was wondering if you have any tips for the process. How much live rock should I start out with etc... Im of the opinion no fish until I get the reef going, is this a smart way?

You could go the route of no fish if that is what you fancy.

What I have found is there really are no hard and or fast rules. The one undeniable thing a hobbyiest must have is patience.

Put in as much live rock as "you" want to. Afterall, you will be the one looking at the tank most if not all the time. I like to go with more open designs with rock structure because I like to create places for fish to swim in and I believe it creates more open spaces for flow.

Feel free to ask more questions.

thanks, yeah, I had a tank going and got frustrated because I couldnt grow the zoo's. Everything was going good, but the zoo's would just disappear. I ended up with the notion there was something eating them and saw some small star fish looking things that I thought might be the predators... anyways, to make a long story short, Im gettin rid of that tank and starting from scratch. Im sure Ill have more questions later.

How many fish is ok to have in a 30 gallon reef?

What fish are best? Im hoping on a shrimp or two, a goby, a clown or two and a six line wrasse.

What else besides mushrooms and polyps are hardy and good things to start out with when your water condition is new and possibly not the most stable?

I am assuming you are talking about 30 vs. 300 when you are talking about stocking.

Almost anything would be appropriate assuming the tank is cycled.

A few shrimp i.e. cleaner shrimp would be fine, as is a six line wrasse. Six-line wrasses are quite pugnacious so you may wish to consider other tank mates carefully.

Percula or Ocellarius i.e True or False Percula's are fine for that sized tank. You may even consider getting captive bred clownfish from local members as well.

What kind of goby were you thinking of? Many gobies like Mandarin Dragonette or Watchman Goby do best with an established tank where the fauna and flora i.e. copepods are well established.

Xenia, Anthelia, Zoas, Gsp, Mushrooms are all good starter corals again assuming the water parameters are stable. Fwiw, zoas are preyed upon by Zoa Nudibranchs which do have feathery appendages. Asterina starfish tend to fine, but not all are. You may want to read up a bit more on starfish.

Remember stability is key, and patience is needed. I think when I first started I stocked my 30 40ish gallong tank (when I first started) with very inappropriate fish, and corals. Most if not all died in a very short period of time.

Yes, that's what I dont want to do... Im thinking to stock it with an appropriate amount of live rock, live sand, and maybe a few snails and crabs at first and let the water cycle. Then when it cycles slowly add one piece at a time... Maybe after Ive got one or two in there and it looks like things are good I may add a few just to give it some substance... and fish wise, I think Ill just add one to have a fish. until things are established.... t

Goby-wise: I like the white ones with orange. The other ones have always been too agressive in the past.

Are there any must haves fish and/or coral-wise?

Also any suggestions on how to deal with the 25 gallon loss depression (going from 55 to 30 tank-wise)?

and yes I meant 30, not 300. thanks for your response.

It can happen. I just recently turned a mini bow from salt water to freshwater. Now the tank is a bit boring, but it's still fun to look at. No worries, in time I'm sure you'll be able to upgrade to a much larger tank.

The orange diamond gobies really need a well-established tank to get going. I had a pink watchman when I first started out - died in a week - I attibuted it to having the tank up for only a few months.

Unfortunately, there is no magic formula. Stay away from Tangs absolute no-no's, and I personally don't care how small you can get them from.

Firefish are small (assuming you have a canopy or cover on the tank), and Royal Gramma's are relatively small as well. Where are you located?

Sounds like Eileen is giving you some good pointers.

I Added my orange spotted (diamond) goby after my tank was cycled and he's been fine but he was a good size when I got him so that may have helped. But they do keep the sand nicely sifted if you can get a good heathy one. You can buy live pods now so that can help with getting started. Eileen is right, tangs will get too big so they aren't an option. I'd also stay way from any fish until your tank is completely cycled because conditions can get harsh while the tank is cycling and that's kinda crule. Just some thoughts ...

Yeah, I want the orange goby cause its been my experience that they do the best with keeping the sand clean...
No tangs hey, what should I get to keep the algae down then, dont the tangs help loads with keeping the rocks clean?

Im in San Francisco, Potrero Hill area...

Ill have a lid, so nobody's a jumpin' ship!

Lot of good shops in city if you're willing to travel in SF

Aquatic Central
Lucky Ocean
Ocean Treasures

and they're sponsors to boot - when the tank is cycled consider giving them a look see :D

Plenty of good stores - check out a listing of our sponsors in the Bay Area.

Check out Wakskat for his 29g tank. Granted his setup is very impressive, but size is no limiting factor in this hobby just perserverance and patience (yes, I know I am using that word a plenty)

I rely on water stability, good lighting, snails and crabs. Just a thought too.... more water is usually easier to maintain so it might not be a bad idea to keep the tank you have and get some help from folks on what the issues you are having are....

[quote author=LeviTillie link=topic=2818.msg29821#msg29821 date=1200097894]
I rely on water stability, good lighting, snails and crabs. Just a thought too.... more water is usually easier to maintain so it might not be a bad idea to keep the tank you have and get some help from folks on what the issues you are having are....
[/quote]
Unfortunately, I dont really have the space for the bigger tank. Also, the stand is pretty beat and it seems like it would be a good time to start from new... Sadly.

Do you think that going from 55 to 30 gallons is going to be that much more difficult to maintain... That was one thing I was scared of.

[quote author=Schmitty link=topic=2818.msg29822#msg29822 date=1200098098]
Unfortunately, I dont really have the space for the bigger tank. Also, the stand is pretty beat and it seems like it would be a good time to start from new... Sadly.

Do you think that going from 55 to 30 gallons is going to be that much more difficult to maintain... That was one thing I was scared of.
[/quote]

I'll have to defer that to the vet's but everyone always says more water is more stable. Getting a new stand and having some folks help you transition would be cheaper if nothing else.

I would say that smaller does not equate to easier. So if you are thinking that down sizing will solve your problems it actually could do quite the opposite. The small the tank the more prone it is to fluctuations.

I think your best bet is to try to discover what your problem is with your current tank, if possible. If it has to do with your husbandry it will likely only get more exxagurated in a smaller tank.

Also, I am sure there will be some that disagree with me but in my opinion a 30 gallon tank is way to small for any tang.

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2818.msg29827#msg29827 date=1200098592]
Just keep up with the water changes and top-offs and you should be fine.

I was breeding frogfishes in a Minibow 7, even.
[/quote]

Sure but if you add a new fish to a smaller amount of water the ammonina effects the balance more than in a larger tank. At least I think that's the idea :)

[quote author=seminolecpa link=topic=2818.msg29828#msg29828 date=1200099011]I think your best bet is to try to discover what your problem is with your current tank, if possible.[/quote]

Probably was the asterinas that did in his zoas. There are some blue/red speckled ones that go for zoas.

[quote author=LeviTillie link=topic=2818.msg29830#msg29830 date=1200099224]
[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2818.msg29827#msg29827 date=1200098592]
Just keep up with the water changes and top-offs and you should be fine.

I was breeding frogfishes in a Minibow 7, even.
[/quote]

Sure but if you add a new fish to a smaller amount of water the ammonina effects the balance more than in a larger tank. At least I think that's the idea :)
[/quote]

Yep, so you do have to pay attention more to stay on top of the water quality.

No, the idea is that Im starting from scratch in the 30 gallon. No tangs, nothing... Im going to start with all new stuff. Im getting rid of the tank mostly due to decreasing the size it's taking up in my apartment, cutting it in half really. Looks like people have had success with small tanks in the reef world...

You can absolutely be sucessful with a smaller tank. I was trying more to highlight the issue Mr. ugly stated in his post. You will likely need to keep an even closer eye on the water quality. Also you may be limited to the types of fish you can put in your tank due to the size.

There are many fantastic small tanks out there. Do alot of reading and ask lots of questions and you will be well on your way to having another one.

THat's why I was asking about the fish. Any recommendations on fish to include in a 30 gallon. I need a wrasse Im assuming and a shrimp to help with parasites, then probably a clown or two cause I like em and they seem to stay small... Any other suggestions, the hawkeye fish looks cool, Ive always been told is a good one to have...

Back