Cali Kid Corals

Strategic Placement of Anemones!

So... with a 14" GBTA, a 12" GBTA, a 10" GBTA, a 10" RBTA, and a 8" GBTA, I was able to accidentally strategically place them in the best areas on the rocks to isolate the back of the tank from the front of the tank... so basically a natural barrier that clownfish can penetrate... and since the 6-line wrasse likes to hang out in the back he wasn't able to get any food after his supply of copepods ran out! Poor him... :(
Tonight he broke through the barrier, but paid the price. He was covered in a slimy substance of anemone mucus! J)
He was apparently stung... then I guess the clowns took care of him! ;)
So I think he's a goner... I feel sorry for him, but again I think it is the best interested of the clownfish if they are going to mate. Now I just need to find him and remove him... :)
I would have rather been able to catch him and sell him or give him back to the LFS, but if the clownfish need to bring new life to the world, it is necessary for him to be gone. The moral of the story for me is to listen to BAR about mean fish and not buy them... and that I probably shouldn't hand-feed my anemones anymore. :~
Just felt like sharing my story! :)

sfsuphysics said:
Holy cow Matthew you have all those large anemones in your tiny tank?

Well the 14" one looked about 8" in the store... then I got home and realized he wasn't fully opened at the store. I constantly run the skimmer and I check my parameters every day which is why they don't have any major issues. I'm going to get some money for my B-Day and shortly afterwards I'll order a DIY 150w MH kit for installation on the 34g hood which comes with 4x 3000RPM fans to keep it cool. My dad is an electrical engineer and he said he would install if for me on a weekend or something. I know it isn't good to have too many anemones, but it's not like they are covering the entire tank... just 1/2 of the tank. When they start splitting I'll start selling and DBTCing. :)
In the picture the 14" is kinda hidden by the 12" and the 10" was hiding. :bigsmile:
And I forgot to mention two 4" GBTAs. One of which is hidden! :)

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_2494_1.JPG

Here you go, Bryan.

facepalm.jpg

"I know it isn't good to have too many anemones"
I'd have to agree with that. If you want to keep so many nems, I'd suggest looking at upgrading both the lighting and tank size. Assuming you do well with them, they'll split, grow or both and that 34g tank isn't really big enough for them already. IMHO FWIW.

bookfish said:
"I know it isn't good to have too many anemones"
I'd have to agree with that. If you want to keep so many nems, I'd suggest looking at upgrading both the lighting and tank size. Assuming you do well with them, they'll split, grow or both and that 34g tank isn't really big enough for them already. IMHO FWIW.

I'll probably be upgrading lighting withing a few months. I plan on selling and DBTCing some of the clones. My sister will go off to college in a few years, and if I have enough money, I'll go buy a bigger tank and put it in her room. :party:

Why is anyone acting like this is news, Since I can remember Matthew has been pushing the enveloe on what can live in his tank, and if they die "oh well" he doesn't make the exact same mistake 2 times, maybe a very very very close mistake but not the EXACT same one again.

Back