Stupid question before I waste money

Discussion in 'Reef Chemistry' started by Rostato, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Rostato

Rostato Supporting Member

Long story short, skimmer went nuts and overflowed last night, and somehow managed to get a few cups of tank water into the dosing container for calcium in my tank.

I’m using b ionic.

Should I dump it all or just adjust the dosing schedule a bit?

It doesn’t seem to have precipitated at all and I’d hate to waste it since there was about 1/3 of a gallon of good calcium supplement.

Yes calcium container. Not the alk container

2. Flagg37

Flagg37 Supporting Member

Was it overflowing skimmate or just tank water? My only concern would be that it would “spoil” the contents of the reservoir.

3. Rostato

It was overflowing.

Didn’t think of that. But it was mostly just water and no skimate. I just cleaned the skimmer earlier in the day and it had not produced anything when I went to bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

If the amount of tank water was small compared to the concentrated solution it should be ok, especially if you don't see any precipitate.

What I would do is continue to dose just do more often testing of calcium (every other day?) just to make sure it doesn't drop.

5. Rostato

Great except I go on vacation this weekend for 20 days

6. Rostato

And I’m out of 2 part because my order was damaged and sent back. Then my reorder was sent to the wrong address.

I have no clue when I’ll get more 2 part in. I may have to run to one of the fish stores and pick some up.

7. Coral reefer

Coral reefer Past President

That’s what I would do. Don’t risk it since you’re out of town.

sfsuphysics and Rostato like this.
  8. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Yeah... that whole being out of town for 20 days sounds like a you problem not a calcium problem :D

That said, keep the old stuff, get some new stuff to handle 20 days, then when you get back if the old stuff still looks fine give that a shot and you don't have to throw it away and can monitor it when you're back home.

9. Rostato

I already dumped it all out. I have enough for a few days. Headed to either AC or Neptune tomorrow after work to get more b ionic. I just hoping I can get he alk to mix before I leave sat.

I’ll be gone like 10 ish days. Not 20.

10. Rostato

Whew. Came just in time. Now I gotta boil some R.O. water to dissolve this crap in 24 hours IMG_0684.jpg

11. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Webmaster Staff Member

Take it to homedepot and have them shake it for you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. Rostato

Boiling 3 gallons of R.O. did it in like 30 min. Nice!

13. rygh

rygh BOD

I am confused, I thought B-Ionic was already in liquid form, just pour it in.
    What are you boiling / dissolving?

14. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Webmaster Staff Member

They come in powder now to prevent leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15. Rostato

The alk always has a massive chunk of precipitate in the bottom. This one was about 5 inches on the bottom of the bucket.

16. Rostato

But they are definitely liquid