Neptune Aquatics

Stylo spawning

I've been having issues with my skimmer for a month or so. The skimmer seemed to behave totally fine most of the time, but would just go nuts at seemingly random intervals. No fish disappearances and the corals weren't looking stressed either. If i didn't keep the collection cup 100% bone dry, I'd come home every day or two to an overflowed cup, hazy tank, foam everywhere, basically a huge mess.

While I was playing with the tank last weekend, I squirted a Pocillopora colony with a turkey baster and a bunch of tiny white dots (eggs, I assume?) came flying out of it. Right on cue, the skimmer cup added an inch of skimmate. Over the last couple days I've figured out that nearly all of the pocci/stylo colonies bigger than a frag are participating. I'll get some video if they're still at it this weekend.

I haven't seen anything that looks milky/"sperm"-like coming from these corals, they all release discrete, tiny-but-visible white dots. Is this polyp bailout or sexual reproduction? They seem to do this with the lights on. Is this seasonal or will I be able to go back to my lazy skimmer schedule someday? If this is reproduction, what's it take to get from spawn to settlement?

Sweet! Haven't ever seen the effects of a stylo spawn, but I sure as hell have seen poccilipora (one particular bright green & yellow strain) that has had colonies popping up every which way in the tank. I wonder what it is about that coral that allows it to successfully reproduce so easily

Back